Protective

Gracie's POV:
We stayed frozen at that moment for what felt like forever before either of us made any attempt to separate. Kenna's small frame seemed to fit mindlessly with mine as I held her, trying to provide any means possible of comforting her. I wasn't meant for this.

Children were not something I was particularly experienced with and yet here I stood, feeling an overwhelming sense of protectiveness for some girl I just met. I knew in my heart that I would ensure she would have someone that understood her and could provide her with all the things she never had. Everything she needed.

But that person wasn't me.

I pulled away, wiping her tears with my thumb, after ignoring the small flinch that finally showed.

'Are they here?' I asked her.

I wasn't ready for the interruption that came when I heard, 'Is who here?'

Kenna tensed, well so did I. Actually I think I jumped more than stilled. I turned to meet the platinum blonde/gray, who wore a confused yet anticipatory expression.

'God, don't scare me like that!' I exclaimed, making my displeasure with the jolting experience known.

'Sorry, I just came to check on you and you know the girl you fell on.' she said as she came in, leaving the opening just as Mark came back.

He smiled at me handing me the tube, 'Just apply it in a thin layer over everything and let it soak in some before putting her shirt back on. You can apply more as needed otherwise three times a day, and use ice and ibuprofen to help with the pain.'

'Thanks, Mark!' I told him, grateful for his understanding of the situation.

'No problem, come see me tomorrow to do her cast, but other than that she should be good to go. Just check in if anything else pops up!', he smiles turning to Kenna, 'I hope you feel better soon, kid. Lots of rest, and I'll see you soon!'

Kenna looked at him for the first time. I was happy to see her opening up to him more. As Mark headed out of the tent, I walked around the table. Kenna held onto her shirt while I opened the cream and began applying it to her multi-colored back.

'Shouldn't Mark be doing that?' My older friend inquire as she stepped further into the tent. I felt Kenna tense slightly as her movement, though she relaxed as I stopped my application process to rest my hand on her lower back, effectively assuring her that I was still here and there was nothing to be afraid of.

'It's complicated, but it's not my story to tell.' I responded, earning a simple nod of understanding in return. As I finished with Kenna's back, I put the cap on the tube before washing my hands in the makeshift sink. I dried them, before moving to stand next to Kenna again.

'Kenna, this is Phoebe.' I told the young girl as I gestured towards the new woman, 'Phoebe, Kenna.'

Kenna looked at me as I spoke, only sparing Phoebe a short glance. Phoebe, on the other hand, seemed very interested by the girl, smiling at what I assumed she registered as shyness from Kenna's part. I, unfortunately, knew that wasn't the truth, at least not entirely.

'Hey, it's really nice to meet you!' Phoebe greeted her, warmly, 'How're you feeling?'

She looked at me, but before she could answer her head snapped towards the side of the tent. It was as if she could see something through the white wall of fabric. I watched as she scooted back on the table some, ultimately leaning up against me as my arm rested beside her. I was confused by her actions until I heard the commotion from outside the tent.

'Where the hell is that little brat?!'

It was a man's voice. He sounded menacing, and I knew exactly who he was. Well, what he had done.