LONE SNAKE

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO/SIX
LONE SNAKE (ALTERNATE TITLE: CORA NEEDS TO LEARN SOCIAL SKILLS)

 cool about it | BOYGENIUS"telling myself one dayi'll forget about it, knowing that it probably isn't true"

"telling myself one day
i'll forget about it,
knowing that it probably isn't
true"

September had finally passed, the first month back at school dragging more than Cora Holloway could have imagined. She had reached the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year. As her and her friends trekked to the small village, she couldn't help but be shocked that Umbridge was allowing it.

The toad had become more and more unbearing, it felt as with each day came a new proclamation. It was only the day prior that she had removed Sybil Tralawney from her post as divination professor. Now did Cora believe the woman to be insane? Most definitely, but she was a good teacher, one who cared about her students. No one deserves to be fired in front of the whole school.

Cora had spent the last month seething with anger. All she wanted to do was scream and cry at the world and at Umbridge. But she couldn't. So she did what she did best, she played a perfect student. She would arrive to class early, she would sit there straight and strong, her attention would never waver, and she would always raise her hand. The students around her didn't understand why she showed respect to Umbridge. But Cora knew, and the toad did too. Anytime she would try and catch Cora out, punish her for something, the girl was two steps ahead. And it made Umbridge furious. Her best student hated her the most. A genius twist if you asked Cora.

That's how she found herself outside of the Hog's Head, she was early, Hermione asking if she could come help set up.
It was three days earlier that the twins had informed Amelia and herself that the trio were starting a club of sorts, one to teach the students how to defend themselves. Making up for the lost curriculum in their actual defence classes. Cora was thrilled, that evil glint in her eye returning at its mention. Only three hours after that Harry had approached her, wanting her to help him teach the students.

While Cora declined the offer, she knew that the other students were scared, not fond of her. She did however agree to be of support to him. She swung the door open, head held high.

The pub was dark and drafty, she was glad she had worn a scarf. There was one other patron in the far corner, but it seemed the trio was paying no mind to him.

"Cora! Glad you're here, we're just discussing a game plan!" She wrapped Hermione in a quick hug, and even though the boys both grimaced, she gave them light hugs too. "Harry's a little stressed." Hermione leaned in to whisper in her ear.

The chosen one opened his mouth to protest, but made no noise, simply slumping back in his seat. "Are you sure you can't help? I could really use it."

She shook her head at the sad boy. "No can do Harry, I'd only make it worse. But I will be here if you need me. Promise." She watched him break a small smile, warming her heart a little.