LIONS AND TIGERS AND MERMAIDS THIS TIME?

CHAPTER ELEVEN
LIONS AND TIGERS AND MERMAIDS THIS TIME? (ALTERNATE TITLE: STUPID BLOODY TOURNAMENT PART 3)

CHAPTER ELEVENLIONS AND TIGERS AND MERMAIDS THIS TIME? (ALTERNATE TITLE: STUPID BLOODY TOURNAMENT PART 3)

falling  | HAIM
"into the fire feeling higher than the truth,
i can feel the heat,
but i'm not burning"

Time normally moved at a steady pace in Cora Holloway's mind. Her sixth year however seemed to be moving faster than she could handle. In the blink of the eye the events of the Yule Ball were far behind, the Christmas decorations nowhere to be found. It was a blessing and a curse, she couldn't bare to remember the actions of tipsy Cora on New Years and the frost of the January sun was something she ran from.

Suddenly it was February 24th and the morning of the second task. Cora was significantly calmer this time around. She had found herself with ample time to prepare. Plus, swimming was quite far inside her comfort zone, a lot further than fire breathing dragons, that's for sure. 

The egg retrieved from that task had actually been a clue for the upcoming one. Cora had realised this a few weeks ago, one bearable afternoon out by the lake. She had been sitting wistfully gazing at the lake, wishing nothing more than the comfort of the water. The golden egg resting next to her almost tauntingly.

She had been trying for hours to open the bloody thing without it screeching, but to no success. That was until Cedric approached the girl from behind scaring the living daylights out of her. 

"Merlin Ced!"

In the process the egg had managed to be knocked off its perch, and rolling away into the Black Lake. The two scrambled to pick it up, but stopped dead in their tracks when melodic sounds rang out, stark contrast to the awful screaming. 

After the two shook out of their gaze, Cedric leaned down and pulled it out of the mud. "If the next competition is a singing one, I better drop out right now!" He began to pass it between his hands, as if it was a hackie sack - and not a giant golden egg.

Cora had instantly realised what their next task was, she supposed that living in the dungeons and listening to the creatures of the lake sing for the past six years was actually a positive.. "Mermaids, like the ones living in the lake." His face contorted in realisation. "Thanks for the fright though, I'm not sure I would have figured it out without you."

"Actually, that's why I scared you, Moody tipped me off this morning, I took it to the prefect bathroom just then." His wet hair suddenly caught her eye as she reiterated that it was Moody who helped the boy. "Confused me quite a bit too, not sure how he knew the egg was water born. Doesn't really bother me though, all that matters is we know what the next task is now."

"I guess so...you don't happen to know where Harry is by chance, we should return the favour."

She found herself drawn back into the present, sitting in the common room staring at the dark waters of the lake. Ever since she was a child the water calmed her, today was no different. She loved swimming, she found it to be a pleasant past time in the boring manor she lived in. But that didn't stop the anxiety in her stomach bubbling away. What if something went horribly wrong? What if the mermaids attacked? What if she drowned? What were they even doing in the depths of the lake?