The Clone's Challenge

The next morning, Class A waited in homeroom for the day to start. Aizawa was in his sleeping bag, and there were still 4 empty seats. Two of them, they did not care for being the former class pervert, and the other a firecracker with an ego... while the other two... let's just say that Hizoshi Shinsou and Ochako Uraraka were both very much missed. After the bell rang, Toshinori Yagi entered the room, and they were all excited. After all, he was the teacher for heroics, the class favorite subject.

With a smile, the emaciated "Good morning, class. How is everyone?"
They were positive, for the most part, but two in particular, Momo Yaoyorozu, and Kyoka Jirou. Sullen, they were the closest to the other two girls, Ochako and Hizoshi, and at this point were quite good friends. It made sense they would miss them the most.

Yagi did take this in stride. "Well, I'm glad that many of you are in good spirits. Today we have a bit of a different lesson than normal... I'll meet you at field Zeta once you get your Hero Costumes on!"

The class was shocked, as Zeta hadn't ever seen use since a hero student 5 years ago was outright killed due to a fault in the building design. Iida raised his hand, "Sir!"

Yagi was quick to call on the obvious questioner in the crowd. "Yes Iida?"

"I thought Zeta was off limits?"

The blond man smiled, and gave a simple explanation. "Ah, well, it used to be. Nezu finally got around to fixing it properly. Cementoss and Ectoplasm both heavily tested the new facility, and we received input from architects... out of this world!"

That got people excited, and so they went and changed. Yagi got to Zeta first, not requiring any detours, and the class trickled in, talking excitedly.

They didn't know what they were getting into, especially as the retired hero could hear the automatic door open behind him, and a clack of the military style boots the Clones wore.

Everyone was shocked as the clone soldier entered the room. They stood rigid, as he glanced over every single one. "So this is the class I was asked to see... Alright, listen up, because I am only going to only say this once. My name is Commander Verdant, Head of the Clone Division of the Earth's military. The Revenant has asked me to give you all a test, so I thought I'd give you the basics, just to see how you match up to my brothers."

He glanced at the door behind him, explaining as he jabbed a thumb in the door's direction, "Through this door is the practical combat examination given to every cadet squad on Kamino

He glanced at the door behind him, explaining as he jabbed a thumb in the door's direction, "Through this door is the practical combat examination given to every cadet squad on Kamino. Every one of my brothers on the field has passed unanimously. If you can't complete this, then how you'll ever be heroes like the Jedi is beyond me."

Iida raised his hand. Seeing this as a question, Verdant responded, "What is your name, cadet?"

Robotically and punctually, he replied, "Iida Tenya, sir!"

Verdant muttered to himself, "Hm... I like him already." Then switched to an authoritative voice, "State your question."

"Will we be able to know the layout?"
He thought for a moment, but then responded, "Usually... yes. But I've heard from your main teacher that you need to learn to expect the unexpected. So this time... you wont. And because you have to learn to deal with random teams, Yagi will randomly select who you will be working with. There are..." He did a quick count, "16 of you. That makes perfect squads of 4. If Clone Force 99 can do this, then you can too!"

Tsu raised her hand, and the clone gestured to her, and she replied to the permission to speak. "Asui Tsuyu, ribbit. I notice your armor is different compared to most clones I've seen. Why is that?"

Yagi couldn't see under his helm, but his tone was... appreciative of her attention to detail. "That is because I am not like many of the mainline clones on the front. I, through distinction, trained as an ARC trooper, or as an Advanced Recon Commando, as denoted by my shoulder pauldrons. Any questions about the training drill?"

There were no more questions left. "Good. Yagi, if you would..."
He used a program to split the students into 4 equal teams:

Team 1: Mezo Shoji, Enjiro Kirishima, Kyoka Jirou, and Momo Yaoyorozu

Team 2: Toru Hagakure, Mina Ashido, Koji Koda, Aoyama Yuga

Team 3: Hanta Sero, Tsuyu Asui, Mashirao Ojiro, Shoto Todoroki

Team 4: Denki Kaminari, Tenya Iida, Fumikage Tokoyami, Rikido Sato

"Alright, with your teams decided, you'll be called forth from the waiting area. I won't tell you what you'll be up against, and neither will the teams before you." The clone led them inside, and then took a designated "Staff Lift". His voice, at this point, was projecting from the speakers in the new facility, directly lifted from the internal microphone in his helmet. "The objective of this training is: To secure the beacon at the other end. Now, normally, you'd be given equipment to help, but you're supposed to be the best of the best. So, you will have to figure it out on your own." The audio cut out for a few moments, before the harsh voice of the clone barked through the speakers again. "Team 1, you're up! I don't have all day."

The door opened, and the team members all glanced at each other, before moving into the lift on the other side. Jirou and Momo were wary as they stepped on, while Kirishima was pumped, ready for the activity. "We're going to beat this, right?"
Meanwhile, Jirou was less certain, "Well... this exercise is for soldiers, not heroes..."
The redhead, confused, asked, "Why would that..."
Momo explained, "Kirishima... while you have fought battle droids, you haven't been in a proper battlefield. War... is hell."

As the platform raised to the top, the group's eyes widened as they took in the whole situation. At the opposite end of the facility, there was a large emplacement, covered in turrets built into the wall. Two towers rose high above them, and several barricades lay between them and their destination. Shoji pointed, "Look!" when they saw their prize. A long pole with a glowing red light.

 A long pole with a glowing red light

"That must be the beacon... but... when's the test..." Just then, a loud klaxon rang out, clearly an alarm, and they immediately recognized the robots which marched out. This was the test. Not against heroes, or training bots, but against actual war machines. All of Class A have seen them in the field, in one form or another... but now they didn't have their whole class... but their random squad. They'd have to make do with what they have. Jirou, hearing faster footsteps, looked up to see commando droids manning each tower. They were painted white, with target reticles on specific areas. These are training droids based off the real thing... Meanwhile, Momo ordered them, "Get to Cover!"

They were forced to run to the barracades as blaster fire lanced out from all over the citadel towards their positions...