twenty one

It's been a couple of weeks since the accident and you've been cleared to get back to work. Your shoulder still ached when you would make suddenly movements but other than that you were completely fine. It was about 9 AM when you walked into the BAU, immediately being greeted by Penelope.

"Good morning lovely" she smiled sweetly, pulling you into a one sided hug as she held a pink and large coffee mug in her other hand.

"Hiya" you said, leaning into her as she wrapped her arm around you "how's everyone been?"

"Oh good, we've been managing without you. But barely." Penelope said, releasing you from her grip. You both made your way into the kitchen where you found JJ and Emily. JJ immediately walked over to you and hugged you as well. "Welcome back, how are you feeling?" Emily asked.

You gave them a nod with a smile, telling them you were doing okay. You went to your therapist a couple of times during these past weeks and talked through some of the stuff that had happened that day and were able to resolve some of the lasting impressions and their effect that it had on you afterwards. Since you lived alone, you were home alone quite a lot which was hard sometimes. Every little noise made you jumpy and unsure. Even though the UnSub was shot dead by Hotchner, you could still hear and feel him around you sometimes. It had definitely gotten better after seeing your therapist for a couple times. You only had two more sessions to go for now, and then you would see and take it from there.

"Hey pretty girl" Derek walked into the kitchen, immediately planting a kiss on the top of your head. "Hotch was to see you in his office." He said before walking over to the coffee machine and pouring himself a cup. "Oh thanks" you sighed before quickly rushing over to him and grabbing the mug from the counter. "Just what I needed." You mumbled as you took a sip of the coffee your colleague had just poured for himself. You heard a faint "hey!" in the background as you made your way out of the kitchen and across the office to see your unit chief.

You hadn't really seen Hotch after that day in your apartment, a couple of days after what happened. Of course you knew that the team had stayed busy working during your absence so you didn't think much of him not coming to see you in between. You had texted and called each other a couple of times, specifically him to check on you but nothing more than that. You were feeling pretty happy that you were back and you would be seeing more of him again. It was kinda difficult to admit, but going weeks without seeing him really messed with your head a little bit. You really were starting to like him. You wondered if you should tell him that and see how he feels.

You knocked on his door and walked in when you heard him say 'yes'. "Hi Hotch. Derek said you wanted to see me." You closed the door behind you and walked over to his desk. He looked up from his files and furrowed his brows, "no I didn't."

That cheeky bastard...

"You don't want to see me?" You asked, pretending to be hurt. You put your hand on your chest and gasped. He chuckled in respons and got up from his seat, "of course I'm happy to see you. How are you feeling?" His eyes were narrowed as he studied your frame and specifically your shoulder.

"I'm good, fine." You smiled, "completely ready to get back out there."

He smiled back at you, "that's good. I'm glad."

For a moment you both just stood there looking into each others eyes, you felt your insides grow warmer as the seconds passed. He was wearing a dark blue suit with a light blue shirt underneath, a dark blue striped tie on top. His hair was perfectly styled as per usual. He looked so good. Your heart fluttered as you looked at him, you really missed him.

"I-" you said, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I missed you."

He slowly nodded, "I missed you too. I'm sorry I didn't contact you more, it's been a busy couple of weeks."