chapter seven - play along

yet another day of work for hwang hyunjin. he was surprised when minho told him that they would be training a new worker, but the cafe needed the help.

"ALRIGHT!!" hyunjin jumped at the sudden holler. he turned to see minho entering the room. a warning would be nice, but he supposed that was minho's way of warning him of his entry. "are you so excited to train the newest addition to the mosii team?!!" since they were working both morning and evening shifts today, it was quite early in the day. how many espresso shots did minho sneak already?

"i can tell that you are!" hyunjin yelled back. minho laughed and kicked the other on the back of the leg. "are they here yet?" hyunjin asked as he closed his locker. he turned to minho and began tying his apron.

"not yet," minho frowned, "i think she told mr. min she would get here half an hour before opening. we open in fifteen."

"unpunctual on the first day? not a good look.." hyunjin sighed and minho looked up at him.

"be nice. need i remind you of your first day?" minho glared at hyunjin who shuddered at the memory.

"right, sorry sunbaenim!" hyunjin bowed to minho who laughed and smacked him playfully on the head. the two laughed together until they heard the bell of the front door chime.

"oh shoot, i forgot to lock the door after i came in." minho looked to hyunjin and offered an awkward smile. hyunjin rushed out the the front and minho scrambled to get to his locker to put away his things and put on his apron.

"hi! sorry we're actually not open yet! my coworker forgot to- oh! hi, hari!" the girl smiled and bowed slightly. "yeah, we're not open, but i can still get you a drink if you give me some time to get everything out." hyunjin began to turn on the machines and take the teas and coffee grounds from their cabinets.

"oh no, actually i'm-" hari waved her hands, trying to explain why she was there.

"kang hari?" minho emerged from the employee back room. "that's your name right?" hari looked from hyunjin to minho and nodded. "i'm lee minho, this is hwang hyunjin." minho gestured to the taller boy.

"ah, we actually know each other, haha," hari laughed softly, "i met him and his boyfriend, felix, and then we ran into each other again a few times by chance after i moved here." minho turned his head wildly to hyunjin.

"boy-boyfriend? felix?" minho whipped his head from hyunjin to hari to hyunjin again. "like.. like lee felix?" hari slowly started nodding.

"uh, yeah.. i'm not sure if that's his last name, but i believe so.. felix isn't really common name here so i'd assume that's probably him.." hari looked to hyunjin, confused. hyunjin didn't notice this because he was too busy glaring at minho. giving him a warning look saying 'go along with it, or else.'

"oh!" minho turned his head back to hari but his eyes stayed on hyunjin. "felix, haha, right! yes that's the name of hyunjin's boyfriend, ahaha.." minho's voice was not very convincing, but with hyunjin's reassuring smile, hari didn't even notice. "haha, yes.. anyways! if you could follow me back here, hari, i'll walk you through the job and get you an apron and name tag of your own!" now it was hyunjin's turn to look confused.

"apron and name tag?" hyunjin raised his eyebrows at minho.

"yeah, you idiot, we literally just talked about having a new hire." minho spoke out of the side of his mouth, hoping the girl wouldn't notice their conversation. hyunjin's mouth held agape. oh my god. hari was the new hire? maybe he was too friendly last time they met. why would she apply here?

"ah, right!" hyunjin gave a tight lipped smile to hari, clearly holding back his true reaction. he continued this smile as his gaze followed hari and minho walking into the back room. the second they disappeared behind the door, he pulled out his phone and started frantically typing.