Chapter One: "Rules are Rules"

(Y/N) is a (y/g) hybrid. Hybrids are humans that were experimented on before they were born, just so they could be a mix of human and monster. But why were the hybrids created if humans hated monsters? There was only one answer to that. So that humans can have magic available to them.
     Since humans aren't able to use the same magic as monsters, they wanted to still have monster magic without monsters roaming the surface. So that's when someone decided to create hybrids. They treat hybrids not as living beings with lives, but as tools, things to do things for them. But, when the monsters returned to the surface, they swore to protect them and care for them better than ever before. A group of humans even convinced the government to add in a rule three months after monsters got the same rights as humans. "Monsters and hybrids DO NOT MIX, and shouldn't be friends either."
     To be honest, you thought that was straight up stupid. Like, if hybrids are a mix of human and monster, shouldn't they be able to be friends with all?
     You sigh, your tail hitting a cushion of the sofa you were sitting on. You weren't really allowed to do much in the apartment you were stuck in. Yes, you were let out once a week like all hybrids to do whatever you want as long as you follow the rules, but other than that, you were limited to where you could be. Humans had decided hybrids were supposed to have 'owners' like they were simply 'pets', and only used for their owner's needs, but just like most things, you thought that was stupid.
     You had recently stopped being bad when your owner wasn't home, so maybe you could earn more freedom. You mostly just ended up getting twice as much dinner. Your dinner was always fish, and you were allergic to it. Yeah, you may be part axolotl, but you still had human traits about you, which included allergies.
     "(Y/N)! I'm home!" your owner calls happily. The sound of his voice makes you wanna jump out the window and never return to this terrible place. It reeked of fish, and almost never got cleaned. Not to mention that you weren't allowed to get enough water during the day because it's "a waste of money". You had needs too, and you needed water every hour, so you felt as if you were slowly dying on a daily basis. You bolt into the bedroom before he notices you.
     "I checked the cameras earlier, so you get twice as much dinner today." your gills lower. You curl into a ball on the bed, not wanting to eat anything. Maybe that way your owner will stop feeding you stuff you're allergic to? You doubt it, but it's worth a try anyways.
     Your owner puts a bowl of raw cod on the counter. You don't move. Will he think you're sick? Maybe if you can look like you're dead, he might think you're dead. Well, it's honestly worth a shot.
     You make your body go stiff, back legs turning inwards, kinda like a frog. You just stare straight ahead, gills curled inwards, and when your owner pokes you, you don't react.
     "Shit." your owner mutters under his breath. He picks you up, and carries you outside to give you a proper burial. You are trying to contain a smile. You were so happy to have thought of a smart plan to get free.
     Once you were buried, and your owner walked away, you pushed some dirt out of the way so you could breathe. Step one of your plan was successful. Now, all you had to do was wait until you didn't hear any cars passing, and when there wasn't as much light. You just had to wait about seven hours. That wouldn't be too difficult, right? Boy, you were wrong. The next few hours, you constantly had to adjust your position to avoid swallowing dirt. It was highly uncomfortable when you did get dirt in your mouth, and had to spit it out quietly.
     After enough time had passed, you assumed it was at least two in the morning. People should be asleep by now, so you quickly, but quietly unbury yourself from your grave. You shake yourself off, getting a lot of the dirt off your (s/c) and (f/c) scales. Your tail wags excitedly as you make your way through the town of Mt. Ebott. You had never seen it at night before, thanks to your owner making you get sleep, but since you were free from him, you had more freedom. But the one thing you had to do was avoid being seen. If someone spots you, you might be done for.
You push those thoughts to the back of your mind and smile. The night air was so refreshing, especially after being stuck in a cramped, messy apartment most of your life.
     "COME ON BROTHER! YOU SHOULDN'T BE OUT AT THIS TIME!" you hear someone yell at their brother. Quickly, you dart into a bush. You didn't know if they were human or monster, and if they were human, this wouldn't be good.
     "hey, uh, didja hear somethin' runnin' 'round?" the second person, presumably the first one's brother, looks in your direction. They appear to be a monster, but what monster, you couldn't tell from where you were.
     "I'M SURE IT WAS JUST AN ANIMAL." the first person says, now looking in your direction. The second person walks over. You slink back as much as possible, since there was an apartment complex in the way.
     "heya. we won't hurt 'cha. we're just curious as ta what 'cha are." they put their hand out towards you. You slowly poke your head out of the bushes. They look at you with a curious expression.
     "a hybrid? whatcha doin' out here alone? s'fine if ya don't wanna talk about it." you look up at the two brothers. They were skeletons. One was small, while the other was tall.
     "SHOULDN'T YOU BE WITH AN OWNER?" the tall one asks you. You nod, gills lowering in embarrassment.
     "THEN WHY AREN'T YOU WITH THEM?" your expression changes from embarrassed, to sad.
     "He... he didn't treat me well..." you whimper, avoiding eye contact. The skeletons look at you, sympathetically.
     "ah. i see kiddo." the short skeleton scratches his cervical spine. "THAT'S ALRIGHT HYBRID! WE CAN TAKE YOU IN!" the tall skeleton chirps excitedly.
     "ya sure bro? s'gainst the law." the tall one nods. "I'M SURE!"
     "Stay away from (Y/N), monsters!" a woman yells at the skeletons. She's probably 5'2 or so, in her early twenties, with short brown hair, brown eyes, and is dressed in a light green top, black leggings, and black combat boots.
     "DON'T WORRY HYBRID! I WILL PROTECT YOU!" you are lifted up by the tall skeleton, and the two brothers make a run for it. The woman was still yelling at the skeleton brothers, but you didn't care. Being free was all that mattered right now.
     To you, it seemed like the run was a few hours. You could hear police sirens in the distance. The wind from the tall skeleton running so fast was making it hard for you to see. You seemed to have zoned out because you felt someone poking you. You look over at who it was. The short skeleton was looking at you with a kinda worried expression.
     "ya good kiddo?" you nod slowly. He doesn't seem to believe that lie. You sigh.
     "My owner wouldn't let me drink water hourly like I should, and kept feeding me sea food, so I always felt terrible." he pats your head.
     "you're fine now kiddo. i won't let 'em hurt ya again." you felt a wave of relief wash over you. You felt safer with these strangers, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about your owner anymore.
     "so kiddo, what'cha wanna eat?" you shrug. You didn't know what else axolotls could eat.               "CAN'T AXOLOTLS EAT ROMAINE LETTUCE?" the tall skeleton calls from the kitchen.
     "dunno bro. why don't we look it up?" the tall skeleton's eye sockets become wide in excitement. "YES! WE SHALL!"
     "s'pose we forgot ta introduce ourselves. i'm sans, and that's my brother, papyrus. from what that lady said, you're (Y/N), right?" you nod. But before you could say anything, Papyrus begins talking.
     "AXOLOTLS CAN EAT ROMAINE LETTUCE. GONNA GET SOME FOR YOU, OKAY?" you hear the fridge open. "Yeah, I'm willing to try it." Within moments, Papyrus brought you a big bowl of romaine lettuce. You thank him, and begin to eat for the first time in over twenty four hours. They were observing you carefully. Not in an inappropriate way of course.
You were human with (s/c) with some (f/c) mixed in going down your back. You also had gills, a tail, and webbed claws. You had no eyelids like an axolotl, and needed glasses to help your shitty vision.
     "seems like ya really like the lettuce." you nod happily, shoving another piece of the lettuce in your mouth. Your gills lower. There's a knock on the door.
     "Return (Y/N) to (o/n) now, and from now on, you must follow the rules."