S E V E N

The next morning Gulf is awakened by his alarm clock. It's time for college again.

Gulf sighs and silences the alarm clock.

He jumps out of bed and gets ready to go to college. As soon as he's done, he grabs things and goes downstairs.

"Good morning, my love." Gulf is greeted by his mother.

Gulf walks over to her and kisses her cheek.

"Good morning." He mumbles and sits down at the already set breakfast table.

"How did you sleep last night?" Nongnuch asks her son. Gulf shrugs.

"Well okay, I guess." He says.

Nongnuch smiles.

Then Mew walks into the living room.

"Good morning." Gulf and his mother are happily greeted by Mew who sits down next to Gulf.

Gulf feels his cheeks redden slightly.

"Good morning." Mrs. Nongnuch greets him back.

"Yes, good morning." Gulf greets Mew back a little shyly.

"Where is Boonsak?" Gulf asks and looks around. Only then does he notice that there are only three plates on the table.

"My father has already left for work. He's on early shift this week." Mew explains.

Gulf nods.

The three of them eat breakfast together. 

"Gulf, would you like to go to college together? We can walk or by car, whichever you prefer." Mew says.

"Um sure, sounds good." Gulf says. He is surprised that Mew wants to go to college with him.

"How do you want to go? By car or walking?" Mew asks.

Gulf begins to think for a moment.

"By car?" Gulf says questioningly. Mew nods.

"Alright, shall we go then? We have to make a detour today because the nearest road is closed." Mew says. Gulf nods. They stand up.

"Or should I help you clean up first, Mom?" Gulf asks.

Nongnuch shakes her head.

"You go to college, I'll be fine." She says.

Gulf and Mew nod.

Gulf briefly hugs his mother before packing his things and leaving with Mew.

While Mew and Gulf are in the car, it's quiet. Only the radio is on.

Gulf looks out the window, not knowing what to say to Mew.

Mew clears his throat.

"So, you're studying to be a lawyer right?" Mew asks.

Gulf looks at him in surprise.

"Yes, how do you know?" He asks.

"Your mother told me." Mew says. Gulf frowns.

"When?" Gulf asks.

"Before you moved in with us." Mew says.

Gulf's eyes widen.

"So you already knew all this? About our parents being together? And my mother told you things about me?" Gulf asks. A slight irritation can be heard in his voice.

Mew nods slowly but realizes he shouldn't have said this.

"Unbelievable." Gulf says and looks angrily out the window.

"Gulf, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you this." Mew says.

"No, I'm glad you told me because now I know you all lied to me." Gulf says.

"Your mother just wanted to protect you." Mew says.

"She wanted to protect me by lying to me? What a stupid excuse." Gulf says.

"I'm an adult, I can handle it." Gulf says.

Mew sighs.

"She only meant well." He says.

"So she lied to me for a long time that she has a boyfriend for a year and she only means well? Stop that bullshit." Gulf says.

"You may not understand it, but it's pretty annoying when your mom never says anything about a relationship, and then one day she tells you that she's dating someone and that we're moving in with that person at the end of the week. You have no idea what that feels like." Gulf says.

"True, but I understand your frustration." Mew says.

"NO YOU DON'T GET THAT." Gulf yells.

"The fact that you already knew about our parents being together and I didn't, that proves a lot." Gulf says.

"Then what does it prove?" Mew asks.

"That she doesn't trust me, or at least not enough." Gulf says.

Mew shakes his head.

"It's not, Gulf. Your mother really trusts you." Mew says.

"Then why hasn't she been honest with me from the start?" Gulf asks.

"Maybe she was afraid of how you would react." Mew says.

"I would be super happy for her. If anyone deserves love, it's her." Gulf says.

"But no, instead of being honest with me, she waits for a year. And then I'm told that at the end of the week we're going to live with a man and his son I don't know." Gulf says.

Before Mew can react, they have arrived at the college. Mew parks the car and faces Gulf.

Gulf unbuckles his seatbelt and grabs his bag.

"Thanks for letting me ride with you. I'm going home alone this afternoon. Have a nice day." Gulf says and gets out of the car. He closes the door and walks away.

Mew sighs as he watches Gulf.

"I'm sorry Gulf." He mumbles.