3 - The Prefect

It had been a week since her departure of the teashop, and Y/n was yet to regret her decision. She had unintentionally freed up the daytimes of her Saturdays and decided to utilize her time by visiting the staff of Hogwarts school since she rarely got the chance. 

While she was growing up, Hagrid used to teach her about magical creatures; inviting her to help him watch eggs hatch, ride and take care of Hippogriffs, go swimming in the lake as he, from the bank, made sure she didn't do anything stupid. He was her babysitter of sorts and she loved every second they spent together. 

Unfortunately, because of Hogwarts' history of not being the safest place (even if Dumbledore's word said different), her mother, after witnessing the certain horrors that were capable of occurring, forbade her from attending the school so Y/n was sent to live alone in Hogsmeade at age 11. Her mother had gifted her a mirror which allowed them to have direct contact if need be as well as an owl to send letters and packages back and forth. 

There were blood and secret bound enchantments placed on the cottage ensuring that no one could stumble upon it unless biologically related or had been told about its whereabouts - which was impossible as those who knew had sworn to total secrecy. It was a beautiful tudor building with characteristic wooden beams running along the ceilings, a magnificent walled garden containing climbing rose bushes, a fruit orchard, and many other types of therapeutically appearing flowers - Y/n'd often sit outside with a book and soak in the sun while observing her garden flourishing. She had planted copious amounts of magical plants inside a greenhouse for medicinal and experimental purposes. 

The heightened nature of her cottage allowed her to have gorgeous views of the castle grounds. Every Quidditch player was visible as a tiny dot whizzing to-and-fro on their broomsticks. And every animal in the Forbidden Forest was detectable via omnioculars. 

It was a wonderful, solitary way of life; though there wasn't a day where she didn't wish for friends her own age. She had people who supported her and cared for her - Molly, her mum, Hagrid, colleagues at St Mungo's - but she wanted more. Everyone always wants what they don't have.

When only beginning to live alone, she educated herself through books and the acts of 'try something until you get it'. That was until she discovered her ability to heal and revive things by touch - regrowing trees from their stumps, and bringing the dead back to life (innocent animals more so than humans). 

Y/n had never heard or seen anything like it until the day when a wilting flower brightened back to full height and health by her hand merely hovering unconsciously near it. 'Feathers' was soon sent with an envelope enclosed in her beak to her mother. Madam Pomfrey being stunned to the core, intrigued beyond belief as she'd heard of almost every way of healing, and exuberant yet confused. The concept of restoring health at the snap of the fingers baffled her. 

Y/n applied for a place a St Mungo's, and without any training, she was gratefully accepted onto the short staffed team. The fact that Y/n could revive the dead wasn't disclosed with anyone because her mum was wary that Y/n might be taken advantage of by those refusing to let others cross to the other side. People couldn't live forever. 

---

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Her snow boots were becoming considerably damper as the wet downpour of white polar quilt surrounded her person entirely. The wind had picked up on her journey of apparating to the front gates, granted entrance access, and wading through the arctic air. 

Luckily, there was an inviting fiery scent and grey smoke rhythmically puffing out the chimney of his hut - the wood burning fire inside releasing extraordinary heat.