6 - Introductions

A week and a bit had passed since that day in the hospital, and the last day of term had rolled around. Snow was trickling down the windows of the castle and icicles had grown like stalactites clinging to a cave wall. The halls were covered from floor to ceiling with dazling Christmas decorations; lit up trees, tinsel, sparkling baubles, and portraits singing Christmas carols loudly to whichever unlucky soul was walking by.

No matter how many times Y/n had told her mother that it would make much more sense to officially start in the hospital wing when the new year dawned, Madam Pomfrey insisted it would be better to attend the last feast of 1976 and be welcomed in front of everyone. Y/n protested a lot to say the least.

"Ma, I'm not going!" she exclaimed for the third time that day, standing in the hospital wing, "I don't need an introduction, everyone'll just think I'm a strange girl whose decided to come work with her mother in her spare time." 

"That is not true." 

"Yes, Mum, it is." she sighed, snatching the maroon coloured uniform that her mum was pinching at the shoulders and holding out for her. "Do I seriously have to wear it? Nobody will care what I wear." 

"I will," Madam Pomfrey frowned, clearing a bedside table plastered with sodden tissues from a girl who spent a whole hour crying from a heartbreak and missing a potions exam. 

"I can't wear this Ma, you look alright in it because your older than me, but I'll look like a nun. Have you seen the length of this skirt? It's better at sweeping the floor then a broom!" Y/n had been refusing the uniform for days and had thought of many ways she might be able to modify it if wearing became mandatory. 

She could slice the skirt so it reached above the knee, rid the apron completely, burn the white hat, and slip a robe over the top. Additionally, Y/n was contemplating on changing the colour to navy, black, or purple - anything to make her not stand out as much.

"Y/n, you're being dramatic. Now go put that on or you won't get anything for Christmas!" she threatened, pointing to the door and shooing her daughter through it. "The feast starts at 6.30 so get there on time! If you're late I swear to Merlin I will turn you into broomstick and use you to clean the floor!" 

Y/n sped through the corridors with the uniform lapped over her arms. She entered the nearest bathroom, locked herself in a cubicle, and began reluctantly changing into the dress. 

"Hello?" a voice uttered from outside the toilet stall door, "Is anyone in here?" 

Y/n kept quiet not sure what to reply to the young sounding female voice and continued changing silently until they spoke again.

"It's rude to ignore people, you know?!" the suspected girl screamed from across the lavatory, "Come talk to me whoever you are. This is my bathroom, you are trespassing in my opinion, and I want to talk to you!" 

"Ok, ok, I'll come out to speak to you." Y/n called, buttoning the back of the dress up and grasping the apron and hat in her fist before sliding the bolt on the door.  

To her surprise, she wasn't met with a living school girl with bright Hogwarts robes but a dead one whose robes had massively faded and wore long pigtails on each side of her head. Y/n's eyes widened a great deal and she took a few careless steps backwards almost slipping on a puddle of water. 

"By golly, you aren't alive!" she exclaimed in shock, holding her hand to her chest as if the air had been knocked out of her.

"You don't think I realise that!" the transparent girl screeched, swooping forwards meaning to intimidate the living. "I've been dead for over 30 years! Insolent child! Thoughtless girl to say something so offensive-"