8: Romano.

Claudio assumed the role of Underboss, Ottavio as Consigliere, and Verde as Capo. On the surface, it might have appeared an odd choice, but each appointment was a carefully calculated move. Claudio's seeming foolishness served my purpose, strategically placing him under the watchful eye of the Don. Ottavio, the family's counselor, was the ideal choice, and Verde, as Head of Bologna, earned his position based on his father's eminence.

The decision to give Max, a proficient gunman, the role of accountant may have seemed unconventional, but the family needed his keen scrutiny. The individuals in positions like Four Eyes worked diligently to ensure financial matters were handled with precision.

Alfonso remained an associate without a designated position, and his status was reflective of our evolving dynamics. Amidst this, I had navigated a divorce from his daughter, necessitating a pragmatic approach rather than unnecessary niceties.

As the crowd thinned out, Morelli intercepted me to have a private conversation. He motioned for me to come closer, and then politely asked Ottavio to step away.

The door creaked, slamming shut after Ottavio.

Morelli was significantly better than the last time we had converged in the conference hall. Yesterday's conversation with him had revealed a marked improvement—his strength and coherence were noticeably enhanced. A month's time had wrought significant changes, and I could envision him fully restored and back to his leadership role in just a couple more months. While this prospect meant I might lose my current position, I harbored no resentment. If he could resume ruling, he deserved to do so.

In the event of his return to power, there lingered the possibility that, having proven my worth, he might entrust me with heading another city. The prospect of relocation didn't faze me; in fact, it might bring about positive changes. Maybe, just maybe, it could prove beneficial for me.

After a moment of uneasy quiet, Morelli cleared his throat and broached the conversation. "I have questions. The first concerns Claudio, and the second is about your uncle."

In response, I acknowledged that I hadn't assigned Santo any role because Bologna wasn't his jurisdiction; it was Palermo. I deliberately kept him at a distance, given our shared pride and the unsettling reminder of Vilma in his presence.

"Don Morelli, if I may speak frankly, you've expressed your intent to find a capable successor for your role upon retirement. While I can't definitively vouch for my uncle's suitability, he does possess the requisite qualifications. Hence, I wanted to leave the opportunity open and accessible."

It was the most astute response I could have given, even though it hadn't been part of my original plan or motive. I shuddered at the thought of Santo becoming Don, but I knew that if I appeared too eager for the position, Morelli might think I wasn't fit for the job. Therefore, keeping it straightforward and uncomplicated was the best course of action.

I went on to provide Morelli with a strategic explanation as to why I had selected Claudio as Underboss, despite his perceived weaknesses. In all honesty, I was looking for a way to pit someone who I could easily manipulate.

"And you?" He asked. "You don't think you deserve to be somewhere?"

The answer was simple. "I don't want to get ahead of myself," I explained briefly. "I have a task of finding my father and bringing him here to prove to the family that I'll put its courses over my selfish desires. Only after completing that task can I feel worthy to be in control again."