27: Xenia.

I positioned myself deliberately on the bed, ensuring I appeared composed before granting him entry with a simple "come in," while discreetly adjusting the front rift of my black lacy night robe. Regardless of being sheathed in bra and panties underneath, the flimsy garment left me feeling exposed, as if it were designed solely for seduction.

Was I intending to lure him into my bed? Absolutely not.

Would I succumb if that was his desire? Not a chance.

I wore this attire with the sole purpose of tormenting him with my rejection—or perhaps, if I dared to hope, to gauge whether I still possessed the allure that once captivated and drew him into my bed.

As he strode into the room, his gait remained steady, but his gaze faltered. From my toes, trailing up my legs draped on the bed, to the partially exposed expanse of my chest, his eyes lingered, momentarily arrested by the sight.

His lingering gaze provided a glimmer of reassurance that I didn't repulse him at least, but further tests were needed to ascertain whether he still held desires for me, or if I had become nothing more than a beautiful relic of his past escapades.

"Romano?" I feigned surprise, executing the act flawlessly as he confirmed his identity.

Stepping further into the room, he chided gently, "You should never leave your door unlocked."

Clearly, he had fallen into my trap; I hadn't left the door unlocked by mistake. It was a calculated move to create the illusion of forgetfulness, while I lay sprawled enticingly on the bed.

"That was an oversight on my part," I admitted, propping myself up on my elbow. Momentarily, I released my grip on the lace, revealing more than what was appropriate, before hastily adjusting it. "What brings you here at this hour?"

He cleared his throat twice, a sign of nervousness or hesitation, before taking a hand through his hair. "There's something we need to discuss. Something I need to clarify to ensure it's not misconstrued."

I maintained my façade of ignorance and indifference, sensing that my apparent nonchalance would cut deeper than any confrontation. Suppressing the urge to unleash the tirade of insults and accusations I had rehearsed, I opted for a more lethal approach: indifference.

"I'm all ears, although I'm not sure what could have been misconstrued," I replied more nonchalantly, air quoting the word for emphasis. "Please, take a seat."

Romano complied, settling casually onto the seat in his shorts and T-shirt, adopting a relaxed, cross-legged position. "So, uhm, Kate, as you already know..."

He fizzled out, his hesitation betraying his reluctance to address their affair openly and proudly. Why, though? I expected him to display resolve, to stand up for himself and explain why he had chosen to maintain a relationship with another woman while pursuing me as though I were an irreplaceable treasure.

Running his tongue across his upper teeth, continued after the pause, "We have a history that goes way back."

"I'm well aware."

"Right." He seemed taken aback by my eye roll and dismissive gesture, but determined to press on. "We're not emotionally involved, there's no affection between us whatsoever..."

"You simply find her company enjoyable enough to spend eight long years in her bed. I'm fully aware of the situation."

He chuckled softly, a hint of darkened shame coloring his expression as he locked eyes with me once more. "Let's put it that way, yes."

My heart sank as his admission dangled around the air. How dare he? Could I claim moral high ground when I had a man from my past whose bed I couldn't seem to leave? Would he understand and accept such a situation?