20: Xenia.

"Give me the room. And stay right in yours until I return."

His voice had sliced through the air, leaving an imprint of authority that lingered like an echo in the chambers of my mind. For hours, those words haunted me as I remained confined within these walls, my gaze fixated on the vast expanse of the Mediterranean Sea beyond the window. Its tranquil surface offered no solace, only a reflection of the pandemonium within.

In the shadows of anger, loneliness, and anxiety, darker emotions festered – bitterness, hopelessness, and regret, weaving a tangled web around my heart. But within that chaos, a spark broke forth.

Minutes ago, I made a choice. No longer content to wait passively like a damsel in distress for her rescuer, I seized control, determined to carve my own road. After all, it was I who had crafted the mire in which I now found myself sinking.

The memory of Romano's disdainful gaze upon learning of my addiction kickstarted my resolve as I stepped onto the bustling street, headed for a nearby boutique. Each step felt like a leap of defiance, each beat of my heart a drum of determination. At the mention of Angelo, fury surged through me, solidifying my resolve.

I hadn't foreseen this moment, but now that it had arrived, there was no turning back. With tears of remorse drying on my cheeks, I entered the store, carrying with me a fraction of the money Romano had arrogantly scattered on me just yesterday.

The man was an insufferable, conceited bastard.

Yes, I was well aware he was a ridiculously arrogant, somewhat useful, dangerously attractive, impatiently passionate guy who knew how to put his hands to use, and yet, I still craved him—heck, that's precisely why I let him get away with his manipulative tactics earlier when he had touched me.

All he'd really wanted were answers about the Angelo story; it wasn't like he was interested in making out with me. His intense passion just served as a stark reminder of his anger, and honestly, I couldn't determine which was more dangerous.

I wanted to scream at my common sense. Could it not see that Romano was infuriatingly cocky. Then it screamed back; he was dangerously attractive—a lethal combination that never failed to draw us both in.

In spite of knowing better, I still found myself longing for him, craving his touch and the intensity of those silver eyes. That same arrogance that repelled me was still the same thing that attracted me, creating a constant battle between my rational mind and my reckless desires.

Browsing through the shop's catalog, I knew the one thousand four hundred euros I had was more than sufficient to avoid any embarrassment. It only took a fraction of that money to secure a maroon formal dress that oozed elegance, with its luxurious velvet fabric and delicate embroidery. Featuring a long slit at the side hem, revealing a hint of my right thigh, and just the right amount of cleavage, it was undeniably a smart purchase. Pairing it with sleek black killer pumps completed the ensemble.

Instead of making the trip to the housing complex in Catania first to get what I owned before heading to BBP, I realized that five hundred euros was a small price to pay compared to the consequences of that misstep, especially considering Romano had spirited me away from there for a reason. Further provoking him would likely be a foolish endeavor.

After getting dressed for the meeting, I hailed a cab. Now, as I gazed at the imposing bird signage, my initial excitement about this company weeks ago had morphed into disdain.