9: Xenia.

Working with Bright Bird Publishing had been an overall positive experience, a refreshing month filled with satisfaction. The fact that I got to be a part of this every day felt like a dream come true. My lifelong passion for books and the written word found a perfect match in a publishing company that shared the same enthusiasm. Stepping through the door on my first day, I had sensed that this was where I belonged. The contagious energy and creativity in the workplace made me feel like I was a part of something big, just as Vera had described.

Everyone in BBP was so dedicated to their craft. Whether it was the editors, the designers, or the marketing team. The caliber of their work was nothing short of exceptional. In the span of four weeks, the initial concerns about betraying Romano had faded, replaced by a singular focus on completing my assignments.

Beyond the professional realm, it was the people who made BBP exceptional. I had forged numerous friendships since joining, and the atmosphere was one of continuous support and encouragement. This workplace had become more than just a job; it was a community of incredible individuals.

And the perks! I mean, who wouldn't have loved to be working in an office surrounded by books? The events that we organized were truly remarkable. From book launches to author readings, there was always something going on. And I'd been privy to such luncheons, meeting knew people, making new friends and getting more gigs. It had put a strain on I and April's relationship, because I spent most of my time at the office. When I finally made it home, I'd either be writing on the TIF or working remotely with Vera to finalize Snapping Point.

Despite the positive shifts in my life, the hurdle remained Joanna's absence for over a month. Though my adjusted schedule might come off as selfish, it was all aimed at our collective improvement.

Beyond that and the ever-present black car stalker, Xenia, things were on track. A small office at BBP now bore witness to the unexpected progress and happiness in my life.

Jerry Keith's office was just a door away, yet our mutual understanding defused any potential issues. We both recognized that dating was off the table given his relationship with my editor. Our interactions stayed strictly professional, acknowledging the professional boundaries given his role as my boss. In an hour, we were set to delve into a discussion on informant protection, another facet of my evolving responsibilities.

I hadn't been granted any form of protection yet because everything was still top-level confidential. Only few were aware of the real work on the TIF; Jerry, me, Cece and Martin. Vera, she was simply editing Snapping Point. By Friday as she'd said, we'd start proofreading.

The table trembled, my phone buzzing disruptively, diverting my focus from the laptop. Intrigued, I halted my work, snatched up the device, and discovered it was April calling.

Enabling the speakerphone, I quipped, "If you're probing my open window strategy, it's deliberate—"

"Enough! Just listen." April's breaths were ragged, devoid of relief. "A note clung to your door handle. It seems Mr. Stalker has summoned the courage to confront you."

My heart sank, and I hastily shut my laptop, emerging from under the desk with a sense of urgency. I stood in anticipation. "What's written on it?"

"Skylar Vance, or would it be more fitting if I said Xenia Thompson? Run. If I find you, I will make you suffer."

As her words hung in the air. My heart raced, and a tightening sensation gripped my chest. I replayed the message in my mind, struggling to make sense of the situation, but my thoughts were a chaotic blur.

My voice began to shake as I tried to ask April questions, my throat felt numb and uncooperative. Besides, what information would she give me about my former life; something she was still unaware of?