18: Xenia.

A newfound defiance surged within me when I needed it most. Instead of cowering at the mention of that name or concocting a myriad of cautious responses to safeguard myself in Romano's world, I decided to unsettle him in return.

"Where's your wife?" I challenged.

His laughter sliced through the air, dark and menacing. "What does that matter in regard to Angelo?"

The answer was clear. "Because a married man should not be concerned about the calls single women receive." A second bout of laughter escaped him, shorter this time, wrapped with recklessness. "Am I wrong?"

"On many counts, yes." He tossed an unyielding gaze. "Firstly, I haven't the foggiest idea of Luciana's whereabouts because our divorce was finalized a while ago. Secondly, I protect you, so I should be privy to who and what enters and exits your life."

Learning about Romano's divorce set off a cyclone of sensations within my being. Part of my decision to leave Bologna was entangled with his marriage to Luciana. Now, faced with the revelation that he had been divorced, I questioned whether I would have stayed if he had promised to leave her. I couldn't decipher what exactly it was about him that seemed more daunting—whether it was his single status, his dalliances with other women, or his unwavering wait for my return.

I felt foolish for jumping to conclusions too hastily, but since I had already taken that path, I couldn't afford to appear weak by backing down. So, I opted for a different approach.

Furrowing my brows, I found the courage to confront him. "Protect me? What the hell, Romano?" My voice trembled with uncertainty as I rose to my feet, glaring up at him. I felt small in his presence. "Stop talking about protecting me like I'm some helpless child."

"Technically you are!" His fists clenched, muscles flexing as he held himself in check. "You made that clear when you went ahead to disclose information to a publishing company." Suddenly, his tone dropped to a threatening octave. "When you've experienced as much of life as I have, you'll understand the necessity of my protection—"

"Your obsession!" My words carved through the air like a blade, sharp enough to elicit a gasp from Romano. "The guns, the orders, the surveillance, the unwelcome and unannounced appearances...it's not about protecting me, it's about your obsession for dominance."

A heavy silence enveloped us. Romano seemed stunned by my outburst, glaring at me with anger and frustration. If he were any other man in the TIF, I feared striking me would have been his next move. But with Romano, it was different. He always demanded to be in control of everything, even his emotions as well.

"With obsession comes protection."

"No, no, no. I'll not have that," I protested because that was no logical response. "Obsession doesn't equate to protection. It only serves to suffocate."

He met my gaze head-on, his tone gruff. "You make me realize that if I can't live without you, I must do everything to ensure nothing happens to you."

The statement felt like a contradictory whirlwind, pulling me in conflicting directions. Uncertain of what to make of it, I chose to be brutally honest with him. "It's a twisted notion of love—a win-win situation in your eyes, perhaps, but not in mine."

"There is no other notion of love except a twisted one."

I let out a bitter chuckle, realizing he hadn't changed at all. "I'm sorry, I'm not in the 'Twilight Zone' where irrationality reigns supreme. I don't want that type of love."