Chapter Five: Growing a Fond? (Bright Red Blade)

3rd Person

As Muichiro carries Kotetsu on his shoulder, he asks if they are heading in the right direction, to which Kotetsu answers that he thinks so. He soon spots another fish demon up ahead attempting to climb up a tree to reach Kozo who was sheltering himself with the tree; Muichiro rushes forward and slashes the demon's vase, killing it and saving the swordsmith. Kotetsu proceeds to approach Kozo, both emotionally express relief at seeing each other safe, Kozo though Kotetsu was a goner. While the Mist Hashira asks if he is the one named Kanamori that he been looking for the whole time, He immediately asks if his sword is complete not wanting to forget to slip the opportunity to ask. Kozo quickly notices the blade he is using is badly chipped and states that his own blade is indeed prepared.

He adds that Tanjiro had previously asked to understand him, which surprises Muichiro. As much as Kotetsu would like to talk more he cuts off the discussion by stating that Hotaru is still in danger, which Kozo acknowledges, leading the way to his work shed. As they head into the forest, he spots it and notes that it contains a blade the Hashira can use, asking that he use it to protect the chief. As they plan on taking a few more steps Muichiro suddenly pulls the swordsmith back and warns them that something is coming. A porcelain vase rolls out of the bushes, Kotetsu at this point no longer was suprised by anything out of the Ordinary looks at the vase, just then the voice inside the vase is impressed that Muichirou had noticed him. Inside the vase the whole time was Upper Moon Five, Gyokko, he emerges from the vase and notes that Muichiro is a Hashira.

Gyokko introduces himself and asks Muichiro if he could have a word with him before getting to the killing part, as Kozo and Kotetsu stand behind him not knowing what's going on, Muichiro looks back at Kotetsu to make sure he's ok, a habit he all of a sudden had, Kozo noticed it. The demon Gyokko plans to introduce himself then intends to show them an "artwork" of his, which confuses Muichiro. Before them, a pot releases something that horrifies the three: a collection of the mangled bodies of swordsmiths with blades imbedded in them. Gyokko dubs his creation "Death Throes of the Smiths" and showcases its features, such as the smiths' callused hands from hard labor and half broken masks to show their faces. To their shock and devastation Kozo and Kotetsu recognize all of the victims. Gyokko then displays one final feature, demonstrating that by twisting a katana, they all scream in agony to show they are still alive, bringing Kotetsu and Kozo to tears. This enraged Muichiro as he refuses to see these humans suffering and seeing Kotetsu hurt physically or mentally, he lunges forward and attempts to slash Upper Five's neck, only for the demon to duck back into his vase and appear at another atop the roof. Gyokko exasperatedly demands he be allowed to continue speaking but Muichiro didn't want to hear it and leaps up and slashes the vase, noting that he sliced it with little resistance. A new vase appears on the ground and Gyokko curses the Hashira for destroying his old one. Muichiro notes that unlike Hantengu, who is not avoiding slashes to the neck, Gyokko is evading his attacks, indicating that he can be killed via decapitation.

Muichirou POV

Knowing what I had to do I was thrown off guard when Gyokko forms a vase in his hand and summons two demon goldfish, before using Thousand Needle Fish Kill. The demons spit out hundreds of needles at me and forces me to move out of the way. As Kotetsu calls out to me, which I never knew he would care for me back, the demons notices him and Kozo and spit their needles at them instead. Enraged by that Assault and with speed I took a stands before them and taken multiple needles to my face and arms, though I have dealt worst, I told them to hide and leave, but the goldfish spat again and I perform multiple blocks from the needles' path to protect the two, who quickly leave the scene, I hope Kotetsu will be save. The demon is amused at the sight of me being prickled, he even ask me if I can feel the poison's paralysis setting in. Gyokko insults me for saving worthless lives only to lose my own.

Unexpectedly, those words ring in my mind and I remembered something...someone who had told me the same thing...that his life was worthless: the moment was in the summer, the door to my own home was open due to the heat, and the cicadas were calling in the night. The Upper Five Demon becomes excited to make a new artwork out of me and I'm already annoyed by him so I continue to speed forward, this demons continual chatter has already gotten to my nerves enough as it is. I swing at his neck but I somehow couldn't cut into the demon's flesh, as Gyokko forms a new vase in his hand.

3rd POV

Using Blood Demon Art: Water Prison Pot, Upper Five traps the Mist Hashira in a watery pot to suffocate him to death, believing such a demise is "stylish and beautiful" and remarking about his enjoyment in feeling his blade at his neck. Muichiro attempts to pierce through but cannot penetrate the pot, while Gyokko revels in stopping the Demon Slayer's greatest weapon, his breathing. He joyfully hopes to see his face as he dies and notes that by destroying the village, the Demon Slayers will be crippled and Master Kagaya Ubuyashiki's head can be taken.

Kotetsu POV

This was so Unfair, I don't give a damn if this was the Demons specialty I refuse to let him hurt Muichirou. That monster had the nerve to asks him if he feels pain, I know Muichiro futilely tries to stab through the water pot. Seeing as if his life was about to end, struggling to find an escape, that Demon becomes excited and remarks that his creativity is rising at the sight of Muichiro's attempts at trying to maintain his cool. That was when I was full on angry...

TO BE CONTINUED