Chapter 12: Outfits

Percy was not looking forward to having to sit through a court meeting today with stuck-up noblemen and women who wanted something. First, though, Amphrite was making him get clothes. 

On his first day at Atlantis Amphrite had told him that his clothes were not fit for a Prince and she would take him to a tailor to get some that were. 

"Are you ready, Perseus?" Triton asked. Triton had opted to tag along even if he didn't like using his human form. He thought it would be amusing to see his brother's face when Amphrite forced him to try on suits. 

"No," Percy groaned. He may be physically ready for the day but he was sure as heck not mentally ready for the day. 

Triton laughed but picked his brother up and dragged him to where Amphitrite was waiting. 

"No, Triton," Percy whined. 

"Shush, child." 

"But, Triton." 

"Are you a toddler, Perseus or are you just dramatic like our Uncles?" 

Percy put a hand to his heart in mock offense, "Me dramatic? Never," he drawled out sarcastically. 

"We're ready?" Amphitrite asked. 

"Yes," Triton answered before Percy could. 

"Grab on and close your eyes," Amphrite held out her arm. He realized she was going to flash them somewhere so held onto her arm and made sure to close his eyes tight. Sure enough, just behind his eyelids, there was a bright flash of light and Percy felt his feet hit solid ground instead of the feeling of water covering his whole body. After being underwater for close to twelve hours the air felt weird against his skin. The water had been warm and comforting while the air was cold. 

Amphitrite led them to a small tailor shop a few blocks away. 

The entrance was filled with clothes racks that held various clothes on them, yet to be put up. The front desk was semi-circular taking up at least half of the space. A few chairs littered the room and the walls were white with dashes of gold. 

Amphitrite walked up to the desk and rang a small bell. A tall man popped up from behind the counter like he was just waiting for the bell to ring. 

"How may I be of service today?" he asked. 

"Ah, James would you be able to get a suit for this one here?" Amphitrite asked gesturing to Percy. 

"Of course. Let's see how about a Navy Blue? The traditional Black and White too. Green to match his eyes." 

"All of those sound lovely, James." 

"Good. Well, come on now." he gestured to the group to follow him. 

James grasped Percy's arm and placed made him stand on the raised platform. He brought out a measuring tape and took various measurements. He measured from Percy's shoulder to hand, waist to leg, around the arms, around the waist, around his chest, and from Percy's shoulder to his feet. 

He also gave him a few suits to try on to see the color and see where he needed to tailor. Amphitrite approved of a few and James marked the places they suit needed to be brought in or let out. 

"Ow!" Percy exclaimed as a needle poked him. 

"Well stay still and that wouldn't happen." 

Triton was right and Percy's face was priceless as he had to try on suits. His facial features showed he didn't like it one bit. Percy pouted about it as James made him stay still so he could finish. 

"There we go. I shall have the suits ready for you in a few days' time." James placed the last pin. 

"Thank you." Amphitrite smiled graciously. 

"You are most welcome." 

"Now, it is time for you to get ready for the meeting," Percy's stepmother rounded on him as they left the shop. 

"How was it?" Poseidon greeted graciously. 

"Hilarious," Triton said. 

"Awful," Percy replied. 

Poseidon let out a hearty laugh it seemed his sons had two very different opinions of that morning's events. 

"Well, you must prepare for court so go." he shooed the demigod and younger god out of the room. 

"I need to catch your son before he changes. He simply does not need to be seen wearing what he was when he arrived," Poseidon's wife told him. 

"What are you planning?" Amphitrite did not reply but gave him a smirk. The look told Poseidon everything he needed to know. 

"Go." 

"Perseus!" Amphitrite called entering Percy's room, "I have these for you." 

Percy groaned as she held out a selection of chitons. He truly hoped she didn't make him wear one. He was wrong. 

"Do I have to?" he asked. 

"Why of course." 

She set the chitons on Percy's bed. Amphitrite picked one up and held it up to Percy. She thought for a minute before discarding the garment and picking up another. Eventually, she narrowed it down to two options. 

"White or blue?" she continually changed the garment that she held up trying to decide which she liked better. Both had a wave clasp that would go on the shoulders. 

Finally,  she decided on the blue chiton and directed Percy to go change. 

It took Percy a minute to figure out how the clothing was supposed to go on. The first time he tried he somehow made it look more like a toga than the chiton that it was. That definitely wasn't right. 

He tried again and mostly got it. The one his stepmother had picked out went over both shoulders and clipped together with a clasp. 

"Perfect," Amphitrite gasped as Percy walked out of the bathroom. She moved to adjust a piece of the cloth. 

The blue chiton had no sleeves and left Percy's shoulders mostly bare. The cloth fell down to just above Percy's knees. With Percy's already mostly Greek features, the chiton made him look almost akin to a god. 

Amphitrite led Percy out to the corridor where Triton and Poseidon were waiting in their mer forms both with formal armor covering their upper bodies. 

"Ready for court, son?" Poseidon asked a mischievous smile on his face. 

"Can I say no?" Percy asked. 

"Probably not." 

"Then I guess so." 

"Great. Let's go." Poseidon opened the big doors and Percy gasped in amazement at the interior of the throne room. 

Cliffhanger. I keep making parts of chapters that take up like 500 words and I just go with that and continue onto what I planned into the next chapter. Most of my chapters are at least 1000 words long. 

--Scarlett.