Chapter 16: Gringotts

Please read the notes at the end for explanations on parts marked with these '*'

Molly led the large group through the pub saying a quick hello to the bartender. She led them into a walled courtyard behind the pub. Taking out her wand she tapped the third brick up from the garbage can and the second across. The wall expanded into a large arch. The magic and architecture it would take to do that would have amazed Annabeth and she would probably be calculating what she needed to make something like that. 

"Welcome to Diagon Alley," Hermione welcomed the demigods. She held her hands out as if to encompass the whole of Diagon Alley within her arms. 

"This way." Sally led the way to a large white marble building on the far North side of the Alley. They passed many shops and stalls on the trek there. It fascinated the demigods but they didn't fail to notice all of the bustling witches and wizards. At one point Percy tensed up when he thought he heard a growl. 

"First stop, Gringotts," Sally exclaimed as they entered the building. 

The building had a Latin inscription on it that Percy, Thalia, and Nico took the time to read. 

Enter strangers but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed.
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.

"It's a warning," Harry explained. 

"Yeah, I gathered that," Percy said. 

"You can fully read it?" 

"Yeah. Latin is probably my second or third language. I find Greek and Latin easier to understand with my dyslexia," Percy told him. Harry nodded, it wasn't the most outlandish thing. Some people with dyslexia found some things easier to understand than others. 

"What's dyslexia?" Ron asked from behind them. 

"It's a type of reading disorder. It makes words all jumbled and makes reading a straight-up headache," Thalia explained to the teen. 

"I guess that makes sense," Ron replied. 

The building was filled with goblins and wizards alike. Some wizards were walking up to the goblins and handing them little keys. The goblins were then leading them to carts that would take them down to their vault. Other goblins were counting money. 

Hermione went over to the Muggle money exchange center and started to convert her Muggle money for Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts. 

Molly and Sally ushered the group over to the head table where a goblin sat. 

The goblin looked up at them when Sally cleared her throat. 

"Yes?" he asked patronizingly 

"We'd like to make a withdrawal." 

"Do you have a key?" 

"If I remember correctly the keys were confiscated when the families disappeared." 

"What name are the vaults under?"

"Which would you like to go to?" Sally asked the children, "You have options." 

They looked at each other and came to a unanimous agreement. They would feel safer entering a vault together than alone which meant they would have to enter their fathers' vaults. 

"Olympia," Percy stated firmly. 

"Do you have proof of parentage?" the goblin asked. 

"Not that we can openly show."