Chapter 25: Research

Hermione immediately went back to her research when she finished dinner. Her homework could be done in the common room, but her research was in the library. She was trying to dig up anything she could on the Olympia family. So far, she had found references to the Olympia family dating back to Ancient Greek times. 

In one book it was implied that Circe was a part of the Olympia family, but her parents were not explicitly stated. Hermione scoured history books and wizarding records. Even a couple of books with family trees but the Olympia family was very reclusive. None of the family members had attended Hogwarts since its founding until now. 

Percy, Thalia, and Nico were the first to attend Hogwarts according to the records of the school. 

"Ms. Granger," announced Madame Pince. "I will have to ask you to wrap this up. Curfew is in ten minutes." 

Hermione looked up, "Oh. Yes ma'am." 

Hermione gathered a few books in her arms for further research and placed the records and discarded books back in their place. She checked out the books and walked back to the Gryffindor common room. 

She briefly encountered Percy, who was walking back to his common room from talking to his mother. They gave each other a simple greeting before going their separate ways. 

Hermione arrived at the Fat Lady's Portrait and gave the password. 

"Mimbulus mimbletonia," said Hermione, and the portrait swung open, revealing two figures seated in front of the fire. Textbooks were opened all along the table in front of the couches but were ignored in favor of the two boys chatting animatedly. 

Ever since Defense Against the Dark Arts, Ron seemed just a little happier, his smile just a tad bit brighter, his blue eyes shining happily. Hermione smiled as she watched the two boys laugh. Ron was telling Harry something about recent Quidditch matches that he had missed during the summer. 

"So I did more research," Hermione called while opening one of the books in her hand and laying it across the two open Divination textbooks. "Look at this. The Olympia family dates back all the way to the times of Ancient Greece. I found one speculation that they are descended from the gods themselves. You know Zeus, Hera, and the like." 

"I do not know," exclaimed Ron quietly. 

"You don't learn Greek Mythology in the Wizarding World?" Harry asked with mock disappointment, before explaining. "The Ancient Greeks worshiped many gods and goddesses. There were twelve main gods. Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Demeter, Aphrodite, Ares, Hephaestus, Hermes, Apollo, Artmeis, Dioynsus, and Athena. Each represented something different. For example, Zeus was the King of the Gods and the ruler of the skies. Poseidon was the ruler of the seas. Their brother, Hades, was the ruler of the Underworld. Hera was the goddess of marriage and Queen of the Gods, and Demeter was the goddess of agriculture. So on and so forth." 

"Exactly. And as I said while doing my research I found theories that the Olympia family is descended from the gods. One used the Olympia family crest as evidence." Hermione's eyes scanned the pages as she looked for the correct paragraph. "Ah ha. Here! The Olympia family crest depicts a helm, a lightning bolt, and a trident. These three weapons were the primary weapons of the Big Three gods. Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. The placement of the weapons could depict the three domains. Zeus the skies, Poseidon the seas, and Hades the Underworld. The helm is lower than both the lightning bolt and the trident which leads me to believe this. The Underworld is as the name states below the mortal plane, it is where the Greeks believed everyone went when they died, either to be punished, rewarded, rebirthed, or to stay as souls in the Fields of Asphodol for all of eternity." 

"Is that the best theory you found?" asked Harry. "I mean the gods aren't real, right?" 

"One of the more outlandish theories I found definitely. I do know that no records exist of any Olympia family members attending Hogwarts until Percy, Nico, and Thalia. Another theory about the family I found was that they just didn't like being in the spotlight so they hid for many generations. I don't know what to believe, I'm just telling you two what I found." 

"So we have nothing else on those three, besides that their family is very reclusive and private?" inquired Ron. 

"No. I only found a couple of books in the library about the family," replied Hermione. She sat down in a third armchair near the fire and sighed at the coziness of the soft chair compared to the hard, wooden chairs in the library. 

The trio stayed in companionable silence that was only broken by the scratching of quills on parchment as Harry and Ron tried to complete their homework. Both of their faces were scrunched up in concentration. Hermione did her best to guide them to the right answer each time, even if she did not say the correct answer outright. 

It was hours before anyone was tired enough to go to sleep. Ron yawned first followed in quick succession by both Harry and Hermione. 

"Don't yawn, Ron. It's contagious" joked Hermione."Either way, I think it's time to head to bed, boys. Good night." Hermione walked up the right set of stairs to her dormitory. She silently changed into her pajamas making sure not to wake up any of the other girls in the room. 

She sat on her bed thinking about what she learned about the mysterious Wizarding family. Somehow the more she thought about it the more it seemed that maybe the historian was on the right track. 

At first, it had seemed silly to her, but then she thought about the way all three of the teens seemed to have looks comparable to a statue from Greece. The more and more she thought about the less she thought the theory was silly. 

Perhaps the Olympia family was descended from the gods by many, many generations.

Done. Alright. I may be working on these two a bit more because I have The Life Warrior scheduled for three updates out at least, and Chapter 10 is in the works for it. I didn't know what really to do with these chapter so it's just above a thousand words which is my goal word count for every chapter.