10: New friends

"Are you sure you do not want to try anything? We have yakitori, soba, and tempura...among others."

"Take your pick!"

"You can have it free of charge!" the hostess was adamant about giving you food for the past few minutes now. You would have taken it had she not requested it be on her dime. You felt so bad at the thought, looking at the girl behind the hostess stand, about to speak before someone beat you to it.

"Here is a sample!" an older woman (who had also been insisting) shoved the kabob into your hands, and you bowed with a broad smile.

"I insist on payment, Kurusu-san," you chuckled, "you must not do all this hard work for nothing."

"I do not mind at all!" she said, waving her hands around in denial. "I hope you are enjoying the town, however."

"It is very charming," you grinned as you turned your gaze to the bookstore you'd been eyeing for a while, "full of charming people as well." Your smile was genuine, and the woman called Kurusu could tell in an instant. Oh, how Satoru's people resented the Zen'in name.

You, however, were doing wonders already.

"I do not know if you shall enjoy the company of the man in that store." she shook her head at you.

"For what reason?"

"He is cold, Lady Gojo," she began, "cold and indifferent."

"There is no one so unpleasant that will keep me from enjoying a good read," you smiled again, "I thank you again for your generosity, Kurusu-san. I hope to see you soon."

"You must not thank me!" she shook her head and shooed you away towards the store. Smiling at you while following her direction and beginning to cross the street, Kurusu and her teenage daughter watched you with pleasure as your head dipped with every greeting bow by excited villagers.

The girl with short blonde hair smiled at your departure. "She will be a good Lady, do you not agree, mother?"

"She may be as great an angel as you, Hana."

The bookstore was small. Quiet is also a good way to describe it, and when the door shut behind you and you were seemingly alone, you took the opportunity to take a bite of the yakitori kabob that they had gifted you. There was a quiet and deep greeting of welcome, and you tried to follow the voice, eventually finding a man sitting on the ground around the corner of an aisle of thick, informational books.

He was a blonde man with sharp, strong features and what looked to be a strong build as well. Although Kurusu was correct, he looked rather indifferent to you. "May I help you find anything, miss?" he asked, and this seemed to be the first person who didn't know who you were.

"No sir. Thank you. I just came to browse." He nodded at you before you walked away, eyes turning back down to his book, and you smiled as you walked the small aisles.

Because you had been mobbed by people for the better part of two hours, you were glad to have a little quietness...but you were sure that you have been long strayed from the post house. For all your husband knew, you may have disappeared. For a few quiet minutes, you let your fingers turn pages to get small glimpses of book's contents, and you turned once with a little bit of fright, seeing the bookkeeper staring at you with a cocked brow.

"Are you Gojo-san's wife?" he asked without reaction, and you took a calming breath and pressed your hand over your heart.

"Indeed I am," you confirmed, "and you are?"

"Nanami Kento," he said, "Gojo-san considers me a friend although I do not respect him. I apologize for me not attending your wedding, Lady Gojo."

You smiled awkwardly as you took in this information and yes, Nanami seemed like someone who may not have cared for your husband's eccentric personality. "That is perfectly fine, Nanami-san," you chuckled, "I am not offended."