35: Zen'in return

"Are you nervous?"

"Of course not!" Satoru grinned, "this is the first time I get to show you off to the other daimyos! I can say, look everyone! I have the cream of the crop! I am so much better than you all!"

"Am I that great a prize?" you teased, "you should hope Noritoshi-san does not get jealous."

"Everyone is jealous of me, woman. Even Tengen would like to have you."

You gave him a smile in response, looking out the window of the carriage. "You have made no further steps toward war, have you?"

"I cannot divulge. For now, I just figure that everything should be fine as long as the Zen'in stay off my fucking land," Satoru said back, touching his feet with yours. "Except for the ones we harbor, of course."

"We cannot speak of them."

"Well, it's just us in this carriage!" You gave a warning smile that said we can never be too careful, and in response he giggled at your worry. "They're good."

"How far are we now?"

"We should be at the ryokan by nightfall, and the Kamo estate by midday tomorrow."

"I've heard rumors that the Kamo's inn is miles better than Haibara-san's. Is this true?"

"I would have no idea," Satoru said, tucking his arm around you and kicking his feet up on the empty bench across from you. You leaned your head on his shoulder and prepared to sleep. The sound of crunching grass, whinnying horses and your husband's heartbeat combined were making you tired. "Haibara says they make more money, so it must be true."

"Haibara runs a great place."

"That he does," he said, "although I could run it better."

"Silence," you chuckled. He really did think he was the best at everything. "Say there is no hot water left. What do you do then?"

"Tell everyone to shut up and deal with it."

"And when your customers complain?"

"Exile!" he sang, "anyone who does not agree with Gojo Satoru gets exiled!" He clapped his hands for effect, making you roll your eyes and shake your head. "That reminds me! Would you like to play my favorite game?"

"The name something you like about Gojo Satoru game?"

"Yes! Top three things you like about me, go!"

You put your finger to your chin and thought. I have to come up with just three? "I am having a hard time coming up with that many," you teased him, to which he stared at you dully, like you were a liar. "Kidding!"

Satoru gave you the most sarcastic laugh you'd ever heard, ending with another glare. "Very funny. Everyone hates me."

"I love your dramatics, your warmth, and that face of yours."

"I am not dramatic," he scoffed, "wait, you think I'm good looking?!"

--

Fushiguro (Zen'in) Megumi had never been so worried in his fucking life.

Upon the announcement that you and Satoru were setting off for the Kamo wedding this morning, he felt himself getting worrisome over breakfast. What was he supposed to do in your absence? Help himself to your estate? Order your workers around? What happened if it was attacked, what if--

"Don't worry about anything in that big head of yours," Satoru said with his mouth full of bread, "make yourself at home. You've been living here for a week anyway."