The Gaunt Manor Part II

"She's a pretty little thing." Metis snarled, finally taking a seat on the settee across from Ominis and Sebastian. Ominis's face remained contorted in a look between horror and disgust which he carefully tried to swallow down with each breath. If he had learned anything from growing up in the Gaunt manor, it was to never show what you were feeling on your face.

He hated the way they were speaking of you, but coming too quickly to your defense would only make matters worse. He and Sebastian had worked out a deal to protect you from whatever these sick vermin he was related to would concoct to torture you with. If they had any inkling that you had feelings for him, or Merlin forbid, he had feelings for you, the scene would not be pretty. His brothers always tormented the things Ominis cared for.

He imagined that's what feared him most about this trip. He knew his brothers would see how he had changed in the last semester at Hogwarts. Days that used to pass by with dreadful hours of darkness and silence had turned into adventures of light and laughter that Ominis was excited to embark on. He could feel himself smile more, color returning to his painfully pale face. Tiny details that his family would most definitely pick up on and use to cripple him further. That's why for his plan to work there needed to be pain. He needed to hurt his own feelings, to refuse to comfort you. And regretfully, he needed to hurt yours as well. For whatever reason, Sebastian had suggested this as something which would thoroughly pain you. Ominis was not sure it would work but the shift in your breathing had given him a hint that you were surprised.

"Not too bad on the eyes." His father retorted, staring only at Ominis. "For a mud-blood that is." Ominis wanted to retort that that was because, unlike them, you were not a twisted product of incest. Though, to be frank, he had no idea what you even looked like.

Sebastian managed to force out a laugh, hoping to ease the tension in the parlor. "Alright gentleman, that's my lady we're talking about."

If Ominis had any room left in his heart to feel jealousy he thought we maybe would have tackled Sebastian for complying so easily with this plan.

"So, that's it, Ominis?" Marvolo continued, joining his brother for a seat. His taunting voice matched the malicious grin on his face. "You've trashed that other girl, what was her name? Anne? For another mistress?"

Sebastian stiffened, trying his best to channel peace through gritted teeth. The Gaunt men knew exactly which buttons to press to anger the two of them. They must have had a scheme all on their own to punish Ominis for avoiding them so.

"Yes, well, I'm afraid she's taking this term off." Sebastian continued. Ominis was impressed by how capable he was at maintaining his composure. Ominis felt incredibly grateful for his presence at this moment. Although he could not remove the two of them from this room, he was surely easing a scene that could have gone far worse.

"That's a shame."

"Don't mind the new dame though."

"She's got nice eyes."

Erebus turned to face his sons as they spoke.

"Doesn't look too bad from behind as well. Muggle-borns are always useful for some things."

Ominis began to feel his blood boil. The restrained hope he'd had that he wasn't showing his feelings on his face was slowly fleeting as he imagined how satisfying it would be to rise from the sofa and cave their faces in for saying such a thing.

"True. You wouldn't even have to take her from the front."

His fists were clenching but Sebastian nudged his leg with his knee. Quickly stiffening up and letting out a quick cough, Sebastian continued "Not sure what you gentlemen are egging on about, but yes she does look rather nice when I take her out on dates. Anyways, what do you say, boys, have we been keeping up with the quidditch scores lately?"