The Sallow Cottage

Authors Note: TW: Descriptions of panic attacks, slight gore/violence, sexual themes.

This chapter can get a bit intense at points and if you need to stop reading or have me paraphrase please don't hesitate to reach out!

_____________

You and Ominis had settled into seats on a mostly vacant train as he laughed at some senseless joke you had made. You wondered if his arms were sore from lugging the both of your trunks all the way from the castle, but he made no show of it, sitting with graceful posture against the back of the seat and shrugging off his coat. You pulled out a pear from your own coat before shedding it to the seat across from you. Then, like an old married couple, you began cutting him off slices and alternating which one of you would get to eat it. The two of you fell into a comforting, familiar rhythm, talking about schoolwork and life as you often did. Although, this time, you were careful to avoid mentioning anything that might lead back to Sebastian.

You handed him the last slice of fruit before leaning over him to grab at the stuffed kneazle still buried under the pockets of his jacket. It had surprised you how much he cared for the thing, but every time you saw him with it, you felt yourself fall deeper and deeper into the hopeless expanse of your affection. His adoration for a small inanimate object was astounding, even if he did pretend it was just because it was the first stuffed animal he had ever been gifted.

"Have you named it?" You asked mindlessly, running a hand over its fur. Thinking about it now, you should've waited to get him a niffler instead. Poppy had once made a joke to you that they reminded her of him and you could not unsee it.

Ominis seemed to understand what you were talking about and he let out a small laugh. "No, I have been waiting for you to. It's only fair, y/n. You were the one who found him."

"Oh? So it's a him ?" You teased, setting the plushie back on his seat.

"Of course, it's a he, he resides in the boy's dormitory."

" Touché ." You said, watching the landscape outside the window begin to blur as the train took off. "Well, if you spend so much time with him , I'd like you to name him then."

Ominis smiled, running a hand over it before putting it back inside his coat. "Alright. Just give me some time, it needs to be fitting."

The two of you continued on for a bit in silence. You stared out the window as Ominis sat in thought. After a while, you invested your interest in scanning the train carriage instead. There were only three other passengers in the large compartment, an older woman with a large bag and two little girls who were giggling quietly in the corner. You smiled at them, thinking of simpler times.

"I've got it." He said finally. "Snugget."

You could not help but burst into a fit of laughter so strong you could not even get the words out to form a sentence. "Bloody hell, Ominis! What the hell kind of name is that?"

Ominis hadn't begun to laugh until he heard you, but then he covered his mouth to pretend he hadn't. "Do not make fun of him, he's shy. He actually chose that name himself. Did you not hear it? He's whispered it just now."

"You're awful!" You joked, nudging his shoulder. The older woman shot eyes at you as you realized how loud your laughing had become. "I can see why you've never had a stuffed animal before."

Ominis crossed his arms but he was still chuckling. "Snugget is upset. How very rude of you."

Your mouth had opened to quip something back at him when you heard a putrid scream erupt from down the cabin. Ominis' and your heads whipped around immediately to the pair of sisters who were now huddled tightly by the window, staring wide-eyed at the floor of the aisle.