The Room of Requirement

Authors note: Don't say I never did anything for you.

____________________

Snow was falling peacefully from a cloudy white mist of sky above you. Each puff fell gingerly over your shoulders and heads, delicately adorning Ominis' blonde hair which you had so embarrassingly ran your hands through earlier that afternoon.  The two of you found a steady pace as you crunched about the fresh blanket of snow. Though the grounds were beautiful when they were green and blossoming, you couldn't deny your heart held a certain fondness for the winter wonderland in front of you. Not to mention the clean smell of pine in the air from the nearby trees, furthering your excitement for the holiday season.

As you walked, you had much time to think about the promise you had made to yourself on Ominis' behalf. If you were to make this the best holiday break of his life, you must certainly start with today. Your trip to Hogsmeade would be the perfect starting place. Or rather, " starting over" place, as you were still cringing from earlier.

You began thinking to yourself what would have made your night perfect, starting from there to brew the ideal night out of the castle for Ominis. If someone were to spoil you, you would want them to buy you gifts, take you into your favorite shops, hold your hand, give you compliments. And the more you thought about it...the more it seemed like that's something everyone would like! So surely he would too?

You couldn't cover all of them on your way there, but you could definitely start on the last two. You took one last sideways glance at your unsuspecting victim before starting your plan, studying the concentrated look on his face as his wand guided the two of you through the familiar path along the forest edge. He seemed to be deep in thought much like yourself.

"Ahem." You coughed, louder and more abrasive than intended and he turned his head to you curiously. He asked if you were feeling okay with determined concern. His walking slowed as he listened to your response and you cursed your inability to be subtle or sneaky.

"My hands are just a bit cold, that's all." You lied through your teeth, ending with your face contorting into a wacky expression you were grateful he could not see.

"Oh!" Please. Take my gloves, then." He replied quicker than you expected, already unfastening the mittens from his wrists and pulling on the fingers. You hadn't even realized he'd put them on earlier.  You wanted to shout in frustration from the first part of your plan already failing. Perhaps you were being too subtle after all.

"No! What about your hands? Won't they be cold?" You begged.

"Nonsense. I insist you have them. I run cold anyways."

"Thanks." You muttered quietly, taking the gloves from him but not putting them on. You just held them together tightly in your still-bare left hand. You had not walked much further by the time he had spoken again.

"Do you feel better?" That similar note of doting distress returned to his voice as he checked on you.

Thinking on your feet, you responded flatly. "No."

"Oh." He scratched his neck slightly. His words fell onto the glimmering snow beneath him, "I apologize, I should have brought a nicer pair."

"No! It's not that!" This is going terribly! Was all you could think as you watched the scene unfold in horror.

"I am sorry, I am not following. Is there something else wrong with them?" You could have sworn you saw a sliver of hope in the ways his eyes darted as he said this.

"Perhaps, maybe, if your hands were cold as well, you could just hold mine?" You finally said bravely, reminding yourself this day was not about you but about Ominis.