4| Welcome to The Team

HOW observant can one be that they uncover one of your deepest secrets in a week? She had always taken great pride in her ability to keep her private life hidden from others, but now she couldn't help but feel vulnerable.

The question had plagued her since her conversation with Zack in the field. If he could make these conclusions about her and the new students, what else could he find out from being observant and how dangerous could that be? Should she, along with trying to figure out what the new students were up to, also have to worry about Zack and his exceptional deduction abilities?

Did she have to be on her guard at all times for the safety of her secrets?

"Karyn, you shouldn't think much about it. It was just a conclusion," Zack said from beside her as the teacher droned on. "Or maybe you could just ask them in private if you're so interested."

"I guess I should, but don't worry." She cleared her throat. "Your conclusion was just interesting, that's all. You should tell me more about these conclusions. They seem..."

"Good, right," he completed for her, and with a smile, he added, "So I've been told."

"By who? Your grandma?" she asked with a smile of her own, but it faltered when the smile left his face at her question.

"No. Someone better," he muttered.

Before she could ask further, the teacher said, "Ms. Whyte, I'm sure you can continue that conversation with Mr. Black in detention this evening."

She struggled to contain her groan as she yanked her book open. Perfect. Her mind was already racing with excuses to give her aunt for her incoming lateness. Zack whispered an apology, but she wanted nothing more than to disappear into the floor and escape the judgmental stares of those around her. It wasn't usual for her to get detention, and as SAC-VP, she avoided them like a plague. She tried to focus, but couldn't get Zack's words out of her head.

'They're looking for someone.'

If she was to trust Zack's conclusion and assume that 'someone' was her, it made sense that The Faceless was warning her about them.

But why would they be looking for her, and what could they want?

The class ended before she realized, but by then she had resolved to talk to the trio of new students. The chance presented itself in the form of detention where she and Zack found Gema seated.

"Oh, thank the star—I thought I was going to be the only one here," Gema said as they sat in front of the seats on Gema's sides.

Karyn turned around in her seat, relieved she didn't end up between Gema and Zack again. "That would suck."

"Do your tour guide responsibilities also extend to detention, or did you actually get yourself one?" Gema asked with a laugh as she set her legs crossed on the desk, to which Karyn raised her brows.

"If my responsibilities extended to that, I'm pretty sure neither I nor Jordan would have agreed to it."

"Oh, you're both stellar students, then?"

"Jordan is, not me."

"What got you here?" Zack asked. His eyes roamed over her stretched legs before they settled on her face. "I assume it wasn't something you're annoyed about, as you seem quite comfortable."

"It felt like a quiet week for me, so I had to end it with something. I couldn't go home for all five days just like that. Sheesh! That's boring. I don't know how you guys do that."

Karyn chuckled with raised brows. "So you're a rebel huhn? Good to know."

"If you ever want to break into the principal's office or do something much wilder, I should be your go-to person," Gema said with her two thumbs directed at herself. "What of you guys? Let me guess. Zack probably got in a fight and you, Ryn, I don't know what can bring you here. You seem like the good girl who never does wrong. Though Marce says those are who we should be most cautious about."