25 | Shadows & Streaks

TINGLES flared from where his hand held hers as they headed toward the clearing at the center of the room. A warm flush crept up her neck and spread across her cheeks, making her feel both exhilarated and embarrassed at the same time.

"But no one is dancing, won't people stare?" she asked once they reached the clearing. She'd danced with previous men, so why did this feel different? Perhaps she feared her eyes would display the torrent of emotions that raged within her for everyone to see.

"Let's just dance," came his voice, with its alluring tone soothing her restless mind. Despite her nerves, she couldn't help but feel captivated by the magnetic charm of his tailored black suit, and the cool yet intoxicating scent of musk emanating from it. His hair glinted underneath the soft glow of the candles, falling in light strands over his hooded eyes.

A flutter of butterflies ravaged her stomach when his hands rested gently on her waist while hers rose to his shoulders before they drifted up to clasp at the back of his neck, with a mind of their own.

"I didn't know you knew how to dance," she stated as their feet moved in sync with one another.

"I learned a long time ago."

The soft tune of the violin intermingled with the delicate chords the piano manifested, surrounding them in a bubble, encased in each other's embrace as the world around blurred into a distant haze. Soon, the racing beat of her heart entangled with the orchestra of melodies, pulsating with the crisp notes that floated around them.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier."

"I've never seen you that angry, or angry even. Were things that bad?"

"He ruined everything and left me to clean up his mess, which is what I've been doing for a while now."

Her brows creased. Was that why Ares had said she shouldn't be like him because he had messed things up by not doing what he should have done?

"But I shouldn't have reacted like that," he said.

A sigh escaped her lips when he whirled her around, causing her dress to flare out in a halo of shimmers around her before she spun back close to him, too close. His other hand met hers in the air at their sides, their fingers intertwining and molding like two halves of a flawless sculpture.

More questions lay on the tip of her tongue, but she knew he wouldn't answer, especially when they were the subject of various eyes.

"You look beautiful." Her eyes came back to his and her cheeks warmed when she realized nothing but mere inches stood between them as their bodies swayed gently in a rhythm only they knew.

"When I saw you at first with Lady Minerva, I..." he stuttered as his eyes roamed over the shimmering dress. She saw how his eyes darkened, sending pleasurable shivers down her spine, and igniting a fire that burned brighter with every second. "I mean, I knew you'd dress up, but I... wasn't expecting this."

His eyes came back to hers, but before she could get lost in them, the lights danced around her. Merging and conforming till they darkened, casting eerie shadows of mysterious figures.

One moment she waltzed in Zack's arms, the next, she stood in a field, the lights above diminishing to tiny faraway golden stars. The world swirled around her, making her limbs feel weightless even as they glued her to the ground.

The delicate beat of her heart morphed into palpitations, matching the cacophony of unrecognizable and indecipherable voices that reverberated around her. What started as soothing whispers transformed into deafening cries of pain that threatened to shatter her eardrums.