13 | A Realm Built with Magic

Sensiet Turo ~ sens-see-et-Too-roh
Turund ~ too-roond
Guilerdo ~ goo-i-ler-doh

KARYN wanted to sleep, but even that couldn't shield her from the pain.

She'd been drifting in and out of consciousness with hushed voices around her and immense pain keeping her whole body captive.

Even squirming to a better position did nothing to help, and all she could do was groan and grunt when she felt contact.

She couldn't keep track of how long she'd been in such a state, but she recalled moments of consciousness when Marcela had fed her something. Was it solid or liquid? She couldn't determine.

Whatever it was, she was grateful for it because her body soon had some respite from the heat that had been ravaging her ever since.

Her breathing was still labored, but someone noticed the difference when she opened her eyes.

"Careful. No need to rush anything," the person said, and she recognized it to be Zack.

Her whirling vision took its time but soon cleared before cool green eyes came into view, absorbing her at once. She tried to speak, but her chapped lips and dry tongue made that difficult.

"Here, drink this."

"What's that?" she asked with a wary look cast at the cup in Marcela's hands.

Marcela pushed the cup forward. "It'll help with the pain."

When she was feverish and delirious, she had agreed to anything just to rid herself of the pain. But now that she was conscious, she wasn't so keen on it.

"Trust me, it will."

She sighed, resigning to put some trust in Marcela's soothing words.

It took some seconds, but the pain reduced. Even if it was in the slightest, she appreciated it.

"Do you know what's happening?" she asked as she closed her eyes, willing for the solution she drank to work faster.

"Yes, but you should rest more," she heard Gema say. She didn't even know she was present.

"No. I want to know. Everything," she said with her voice coming out clearer.

Gema cleared her throat before she began. "There's only one explanation for what you're going through and that's Sensiet Turo, which means to harm a Turund."

"What's a Turund?"

"It's a part of someone's soul that exists independently outside the person. The person can also communicate with this Turund. They are to store or lock up someone's secrets."

"Secrets that the person wouldn't want to remember," Marcela added.

"So what does this Sensed Turund do?"

"Sensiet Turo," Jamie corrected.

Marcela shot him a glare before she explained. "They inflict harm on the Turund but it's the person who feels the pain. So the Turund doesn't suffer any physical harm, but it feels the emotions of the person. It's a bounce-back sort of thing. They harm the Turund, the person feels pain, but the Turund also feels that pain. Just not physically."

Karyn's mind reeled. "You're saying I have a Turund."

"Yes, and someone out there has captured it and is using it to hurt you."

"How can I know I have a..." she trailed off as she thought of her sister.

No.

Kara was her sister; she had her own life even if it was a short one. She couldn't be this—