15 | Teaming up with Justice

"I knew it was theirs!" And so did Kara.

Her eyes locked onto a blue truck parked a short distance away, positioned to the side of the gate that lay ahead. The gate seemed to come alive under the sun, its bars gleaming with an otherworldly glow. The sight made her feel it was not as ordinary as it looked and it wouldn't surprise her if she approached it and stumbled upon a phenomenon as strange as the ripple in the wall.

To the right, a garden unfolded, adorned with medium-sized trees that swayed gently in the breeze. A meandering path wound its way between the trees, an invitation to explore it. The barn on her left caught her attention, its rustic charm making her ponder about what animals they reared and which of them took responsibility for it.

She cast her gaze around and caught sight of the grand building behind her which she had just emerged from. Its grandeur matched that of The Lake House and it was one also befitting of a name, leaving her perplexed as to why she had never heard of it before.

Peeling her eyes from the building and the questions it sparked, she forced her feet toward the garden, sticking to the path but letting her eyes wander over the array of meticulously manicured trees and vibrant flowers, all in perfect condition. After a while of strolling, her eyes fell upon him, seated serenely on a garden bench, his unwavering gaze fixed on something in the distance. She approached him from the side and took her place beside him, yet he remained motionless, lost in his thoughts.

"At first, I wondered how they got all this, but didn't take me long to realize it must be magic. That would explain why I walked through a strange wall and how Gema could take me to a room in seconds without walking."

He chuckled. "Getting used to it, right?"

"I guess I have no choice."

"And how are you feeling?"

"I woke up feeling better, then I got a dose of Jamie's annoying self. My foot started bleeding—but Marcela healed it up."

She rushed the last part when Zack sprang forward to check her foot.

Despite her words, he still assessed it for himself before he relaxed back with a nod.

"And you?" she asked and shifted so her full attention was on him.

She tried to reach out to hold his hand as she said, "You know whatever it is you can always—" but stopped when Zack jerked his hand out of her reach. It didn't take long for her to put the pieces together.

"You don't want me to go where you're thinking." She saw the question in his eyes when he trained them on her and she answered, "Gema said it's from the gem and if I try it now, I'll go to where or who you're thinking about. Just like at Fast Foods."

He remained quiet after her explanation, so she asked, "Why?"

"Why I don't want you there?"

"Yes. Does it have to do with your parents? You know I—"

He rose abruptly to his feet, cutting her off again. "We should get back inside. Gema said we need to talk about Elowen and your sister."

His tone sounded clipped like the one he used when he spoke to David and Marigold, the same one he used the first time they met at school before she broke the ice.

She nodded, understanding the message hidden in his words, and joined him as they walked back in a silence that wasn't as comfortable as the one earlier.

It hurt her to see him pull away, but she reasoned they were yet to reach the stage where he could share those things with her. Or maybe they would never get there, and he didn't care as much as Marcela had thought. Maybe she shouldn't have trusted him so easily, after all—