10- Just keep walking

Words:947

The Doctor comforts Y/n

True thoughts always come out at night. When you aren't able to sleep, you stare at the ceiling and think about them. How you care about them so much that it hurts. The Doctor and Y/n were on Earth. She had told the Doctor that she doesn't call it her home but just a place where she lives.

The Doctor knows about her anxiety and depression. He also knows how kind, how strong and intelligent and brave she is. She doesn't always express what she's feeling which makes it hard for him to understand. Y/n helps the Doctor in every way she can, from doing small repairs in the TARDIS to saving the world or the Time Lord himself.

Its just that tonight brought something in his mind that he can't stop thinking about her. Y/n is smiling and talking with some people at the bar but at a distance. A distance from where the Doctor can see her smile. The little scratch on her jaw is bugging him even though she told him it's alright. But he's the Doctor.

"Hey. What are you looking at?", Y/n asked him almost coming out of nowhere. She raised her eyebrows in question and the Doctor seemed to be caught off guard as his eyes awkwardly avoided hers. "I think we should leave before these people pull me to dancing ", she continued when he didn't answer. He simply just nodded.

Taking his hand in hers Y/n came outside the bar and started walking. The Doctor just kept staring at her without saying a word. He knew something was wrong but couldn't make sure what. Y/n was really hard to read. She was always a mystery. "Where are we going?", the Doctor asked.

"Just keep walking", Y/n answered and continued walking. He noticed how she was changing the topic and walking to nowhere seemed to calm her down. From what? After a while of walking the damp streets of England the Doctor decided to break the silence. "What is it?", he asked by stopping Y/n midway.

Y/n frowned at him. "What?", she asked back unsure of what he meant. He then held her shoulders and asked, "Are you ok? Really ok?". She frowned again. He just confused her more. His eyes didn't leave hers but she was...lost. "What makes you think I'm not ok?", she asked once again. That just made him tilt his head like he always does.

"You left the bar without any reason and made me walk miles going nowhere without saying a word. You're shaking. Why? What's wrong?", he asked with concern dripping from his voice. Y/n went blank. She never thought the Doctor would notice such little things about her, or anyone. She saw how his eyes were looking for her and she couldn't turn away.

"I...I don't know. It's always...too much", Y/n spoke in a low voice. "What is too much?", he pressed on further. She always kept her walls high so that no one knows how she feels like. The Doctor knows her pretty well. He can see through these walls very easily...but he's the only one who can. There is no one else in her life.

She gulped and answered, "Everything. It all comes in my head together. I can't stop it and it hurts. You know how my life is right?It's... it's...I don't know what is going on with me. I don't understand why. It's too hard". Y/n bowed her head not wanting to show how miserable she looked. The Doctor cupped her face and looked.

"Hey, hey Y/n. Its ok to feel that way. And you are so brilliant, so so brave. You got this. If it's not ok right now then it will be. Trust me", he stated intently with his eyes not leaving her form. He didn't waste a second and immediately took her in his arms. She didn't see it coming but still embraced him back.

Y/n is kind of taken aback by such sudden interaction. She has always been someone who doesn't know how to react if someone is being affectionate towards her. The Doctor knows that she needs it. She deserves it. In his eyes, she's so much more then Y/n. She's too good for this terrible world and all the things she's been past.

The Doctor brushes his hand in her hair to calm her down if it can. She then melts on his shoulder and tightens the hug. "You understand me", Y/n said in his chest her voice muffled because of his coat. "Of course I do and I always will", he replied and kissed her forehead before placing his chin on her head.

Y/n just hugs him tighter. She has always been this way. Caring about everyone but herself. Not being able to fit in with people. So selfless that the Doctor is afraid what she might end up doing. He always says that he will draw stars around her scars. He will hold her together when she breaks apart. He will save her if not from the world then from herself.

Y/n pulls away and speaks nothing. The Doctor simply agrees. He knows. He always knows. "Come on", he says taking Y/n's hand and proceeds towards the TARDIS. They both stayed silent the whole way. Humans can be so hard to understand sometimes...and this Time Lord is always there at their rescue.

Moral of the story is...not everything needs saying. Certain things are better unsaid, and it's ok.