Episode 8: Tension rises from the very beginning (Part 1/2)

Jack stopped and looked left and right at his colleagues to see if anyone had experienced the same fate. But he realized he was the only one who had been summoned to the room, greeted by a gloomy atmosphere in the afternoon. Jack believed that the dark cloud hovering in the sky wasn't formed from accumulated vapor, but rather came from the man who had been the boss since Monday.

Stay calm. Maybe the boss wants his shoes back from him.

"I'm here n--"

"Late."

The tall man, over 180 centimeters tall, hunched slightly and bowed his head apologetically. He walked to the chair on the opposite side of the boss's desk and sat down, fearing that a white envelope might pay a visit if things didn't speed up.

"How far along is your new idea?" Normally, the boss would have given a heads-up in advance about reviewing work on a particular day, but today something unusual happened, causing a bit of tension. This kind of expression.

"It's progressing steadily, boss. I've prepared it for this Friday. You don't need to worry."

"Am I worried about you?" Not just his words, both his gaze and tone made it clear that he wasn't joking. If he had brought a white envelope, he wouldn't have to wonder about his fate. Boss, on the other hand, wouldn't put himself through such hardship for someone. However, if it were a woman, she might have brought up the topic of allowances.

"Do you have any concerns?"

"Explain your new idea." The moody person sat cross-legged, leaning against the back of the sofa, with his elbows resting on the armrest, his index finger tapping his lips as if pondering something unrelated to the current topic.

"The project is already in progress, boss."

"Mm."

"If I explain it now, Mr. Gun, there won't be anything to talk about on Friday. I've planned to have an intern present some impressive work for you to listen to. It has to be that way, and I think you'll like it."

Negotiation wasn't Jack's strong suit, but it didn't mean he couldn't do it. Especially when it was necessary to use it to survive in the face of natural disasters. Yeah, the boss was observant. That intern was a valuable asset, to the point where they would fly to claim a scholarship but wouldn't know how much to pay when they returned to their hometown. That was the moment to throw this bait to Gun.

"You like it, huh?" It didn't seem to improve, and it also seemed somewhat disadvantageous. Did that sharp-tongued Laem sleep or wrap a blanket around the boss or something? Anything that would prevent him from being in this state. "Huh."

There was only a laugh. At this point, Jack could start to figure out where the hot issue came from on Monday afternoon. It was you, damn Laem. The drought in the Wang Wa Canal.

"Boss, I think we should get to the point now." The employee joined hands on the table, ready with a serious face, engaging the boss in a different topic to escape the military. There were no ideas at the moment. Even the Bangkok Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has already begun water rationing. As for Friday, let it be the topic of Wednesday and Thursday. Go ask for ideas from friends in the team beforehand.

"..."

"I wonder if my subordinate annoyed you, boss. If you're upset about something, please tell me. I'll go back and instruct him properly."

"It's not that." He said that, but his face looked as blank as a road on a Sunday.

"Then scold me, boss. But today, I won't really give you a new idea. I want you to participate in this brainstorming session. If I tell the boss, and then on Friday, what will happen when the boss says, 'I heard it from Jack'?"