3- The Marriage Deception

Siddharth

I couldn't believe my eyes. They fell on her pretty round curious eyes. I noticed her locks falling so prettily round her neck. It was as if I was seeing that same college girl with a wide smile always on her face, her eyes like the shining waves that once made me fall head over heels for her.

"What happened bro?" I turned, startled at his sudden interruption. That's when I realized that Sanjay had been introducing his wife to me, who was looking weirdly at me, her eyes shifting from the cameraman and me. My dumb mind clicked that I was getting in the middle of their photo session.

"Sorry. I .... didn't notice it." Flashing a stupid grin, I quickly pulled Sanjay towards me. "Why didn't you tell me that you invited Payal?" I was annoyed that he never felt the need to inform me.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Payal? But I don't even have contact with her. It's not like we were close."

"Then what is she doing here?" I pointed towards her. There she stood, her earrings dazzling in the light as she looked up to meet my eyes again.

My nervous impulse worked a little too fast as I turned around in no time, hitting my head against the wall. The fan near the bride and groom played a great role as the curtains beside me, whirled around me when I tried to move. I shoved it away, taking gasps of fresh air.

I noticed my friend shaking his head as if he was done with my deals and his wife looked clearly amused as she watched me struggle with a curtain. How will I ever face anyone? I facepalmed at this ridiculous situation and turned to where Payal was standing.

There was no one.

"Man, you must be kidding me. You told me you are over her. What's this behaviour?"

I looked at Sanjay. "You didn't see her? She came here!"

He rolled his eyes and turned to his wife, whispering sweet things, I assumed. I sighed, getting down the high platform stage of the bride and groom.

I didn't know about anything but I, at least, knew that I saw her for sure. I am pretty sure of that theory. I took long strides towards the entry and exit doors, excusing myself from the people crowding the entrance.

I rushed towards the parking lot but didn't notice anything. She was nowhere to be seen. The little feeling that was ignited was now completely worn off. I sighed at the thought that I missed her again.

"Siddharth, you are here, come have some ras malai." My brother called me with his mouth stuffed with ras malai.

★★★

Payal

I hunched over in a corner, behind the food stall, peeking at Siddharth who came running outside. His eyes searched the place keenly.

I released a sigh of relief when he gave up on his mission of finding me. Now that my brain is working, I remember the groom from my college. He was friends with Siddharth and I barely met him two or three times on campus.

No wonder I didn't remember him at first glance.

As I was about to stand up, I noticed Siddharth coming towards the food stall. My heart thumped loudly against my chest and I felt horror striking the bells near my ears.

I don't want to get caught here.

He stood there, eating the ras malai with a look of absolute bliss on his face. The more I looked at him, the more my insides rolled and the rats inside my stomach groaned in hunger.

I took a couple gasps of breath, waiting for him to leave the counter. Just when I saw him leaving, I felt a hand on my shoulder. "What are you doing?" The high-pitched voice of my sister nearly blasted my eardrums. I looked at her, shocked and startled at the same time.