19- Two husbands can keep a secret

Payal

How many times have you accidentally landed with impossible coincidences? 

By accident, I got involved in a fake marriage in my fake husband's family business with accidental meet-ups with his family members and now I am stuck with two fake husbands at different places at the same time, all by accident.

Unfortunately, How did I end up so lucky? 

"What the hell are going on about?" I was freaking shocked. 

"I mean— " He paused to continue, "One second, You didn't hear me calling her mom?" His eyes stared through me. I was caught by surprise but then as I recalled my memories, I remembered him calling her 'mom'. 

I nearly face-palmed at my stupidity. Am I that dumb?

Yes, girl. You are dumb. My mind retorted with all honesty at a very wrong time.

"I guess not." A small smile formed on his lips and I just wanted to smack him up for internal relief. 

"I want to go home." I hung my head down, pulling my hair like a whiny little kid who just can't stop throwing tantrums. "Why am I like this? Why do I have two husbands? Why?"

"Two husbands!" The fright was visible in the voice that came all of a sudden. Siddharth and I dashed out to face his mother. 

Her face was shocked in disbelief. "Mom, I…" Siddharth looked flustered, getting caught off guard. He gestured towards me to continue.

I bit my lips before turning to her. "Haha… I heard that…" The words trailed off and my brain had nearly shut down when I babbled out the answer that clicked on my mind at the right time. "Someone married her lover in the temple while being still married to someone else already." 

"What? That's disgusting." She scrunched up her nose in disgust before turning to Siddharth, “Come out, if you are done here.” 

I smiled and replied, “The house is nice.” I couldn’t help but feel a sigh of relief come out as we followed her out. 

★★★

Siddharth

Finally, things were sorted out as Payal signed out the papers so that she could move in today itself. A car arrived just in time, bringing in all her stuff. I nudged Abhiraj to follow her and then was about to go after them when my mother asked me to stand aside. 

"What's going on?" Her vague question made me wonder what answer she was expecting. 

"What?" That was all I could say in reply.

She sighed and looked in the direction of Payal. "It's not like what I am thinking, right? You are not into a married girl, are you?" 

My jaws dropped but I could imagine my mother being frank. She never hesitated much to speak her mind but this time, it felt different. "Why would I—" I fake laughed as if it was the most ridiculous statement ever. 

"Be careful." She didn't have to say anything more than that. Her glaring eyes tore through my soul, convincing me that she was going to haunt me in my dreams if I ever fell in love with the married Payal. 

But the main thing that she doesn't know is — Payal is not even married. 

"Do your work here and come back home straight. It might take some time for them to move in." My mother walked away after emphasizing 'straight'. Finally, I felt I could breathe.

As the workers placed her stuff in the room, Abhiraj was actively helping her as the old lady kept her eye on him as if to read the biodata of this man.