24- Frauds, Disputes and others

Siddharth

"Pass me that paratha." My mind was hacked. I couldn't stop thinking about those files and the numbers in it. I was confused for the most time but if my studies were worth it and that time when I spent with my books and projects was worth it, then something was seriously going wrong inside the market.

As I was lost in my thoughts, I felt a nudge on my shoulder. "Are you dead or what?"

Sometimes when I see Ankit, I feel like smacking him up but then, I eventually put down that imaginary gun in my head and calm down. "No, but I feel like dead."

"Stop talking about death and all in the morning. It's a bad omen." Dad spoke, going back to reading his newspaper.

"Why? Did you mess up something in the market?" Gourabh asked. Well, something was going truly wrong with the market but it's not because of me.

"No, nothing like that."

I quietly stuff the food in my mouth, avoiding speaking it out until I try and get some clues on what is the actual deal with those numbers. No matter how much I looked at it, all I could sense was a scam.

After finishing up early, I took the files in a bag when my dad noticed it. "What are those files?"

I don't know why I felt like a thief as I was packing it inside a bag. Soon, my nerves calmed down as I quickly said, "Those are some regular account files for the market."

"So you asked for them? The executives were going crazy for some reason. You know, they regulate those files so, maybe they didn't expect anyone to ask for them," my dad spoke as he pulled out his phone after finishing the hearty meal. "When you are done looking at them, send them back."

I nod with respect before sprinting away. I really have no idea why I get so nervous. Lately, I feel as if I am getting more and more scared of him. Maybe, it's my lies weighing on me or just the years and years of going unnoticed.

Whatever it was, it doesn't matter now. I have a bigger thing to deal with at this point. All I felt was the weight of it. Maybe, I should get a rickshaw to work today.

As soon as I went inside the market, I saw Abhiraj chilling with some of the employees, casually talking about their work experience and marriage life. At the moment, I could only close my eyes for a bit and pull him away from them in the most respectful way possible.

"What the fuck, dude? I was talking with them."

"Tell me. What was that?"

His face twitched as he looked questionably at me. "What are you on about?"

"The files you brought to me yesterday."

He lets a look of realization and leans against the table in his cabin. "Did you not get it? There is some kind of money embezzlement."

"But how? I mean, who?" I didn't want to believe it but now the truth was dawning on me. There is a money fraud going on, by using the Pegasus Plaza. "That must mean the people who were running the accounts of this market know about it."

Abhiraj nodded as he was now almost lying down on his table. "Yeah, just go to sleep," I said, shaking my head as he sat up.

"Hey, I think it's someone from your headquarters. When I asked for the file, it took the manager some time to bring it here."

Do my brothers know about this? I can't help but think about that. Wouldn't they have told me if they knew? "Why did you ask for the accounts anyway?"

"The manager asked me, what would I need to begin work? So, I asked the only thing I remembered from college. That time, I wanted to catch fraud in the act. I was so scared that I would lose my money through fraud. That's the most idiotic way to lose money."