14- Status: Married

Payal

I should probably be on my feet now, murmuring a prayer on my lips and thanking the Almighty for saving me. For saving us.

But right now, I am standing in front of him, my face flushed red and my hands stiff as the words come out naturally out of me. "Congratulations husband." 

Not to mention, I was shocked. How can I say that so smoothly? It was almost like I was saying something out of ordinary habit. It creeped me out and my body shuddered. 

"Congratulations wife." There comes the smooth-talker. I was reluctant to look back at him when I felt his stare. When I finally looked, his eyes were filled with everything I could imagine. 

Happiness, enjoyment and perhaps something else — I don't want to mention it. Let's leave it at that.

I laughed it off, shrugging my shoulders, telling myself, "It is okay, that it was easy so don't complicate it." All over again.

"That was freaking scary." Siddharth sighs as I see him closing his eyes and opening them back. 

For another time, I felt like I fixed him up in this difficult situation. The wiggly hands of the guilt hugged me tight enough for me to ask him if I should stop here. I should've probably done that before. I was a fool to think that it would work out. Of course, it wouldn't. And I could get another job, couldn't I?

He looked at me and flashed a smile. And as if he read through me, he says, "It's okay. It is. We can't stop here so we will just go on till the time we cannot do it anymore."

I knew I should stop. This is it and I should really end it here to not complicate things. But there came his words. The comforting words that took me off-guard, almost convinced me that I would get away with this. Maybe, I was just prone to asking for trouble and another job sounds so unrealistic and unconvincing. 

"Who told you I am stopping? Of course, I am working here. Why? Are you scared?" I asked him as he looked really worried.

"No… no way." He laughed it off, ending up hiccuping. Seeing him like this made me laugh too but I saw his hiccuping get worse. I stepped closer to him, patting his back. 

"Are you okay? Should I get some water?" 

He waved his hand, gesturing no. His eyes were moist when I turned to get him some water. Before I could run and grab the water bottle for him, Abhiraj was already there. He slammed his hand against him, punching his back real hard. As I stood shocked, Siddharth turned to see him.

"See, his hiccups stopped!" He started laughing when I just knew this was his ending. 

"Hey, you bastard!" Siddharth raced after the scared Abhiraj who was now in his full flight mode. 

I stood there, bewildered at the hilarious yet outstanding scenario. A catfish chasing after a king amid a jungle having Cinderella and Snow White be the precious witness. What a B-grade script! 

I chuckled and shook my head. They never changed, did they? 

I pulled out the joker's nose and walked to my desk as the announcement was made loud. Finally, the Children's Day special event came to an end. 

★★★

"Hi, I am Payal Bhansali, the new recruit." I bowed respectfully in front of my colleagues and seniors. 

The sound of claps reverberated throughout the room when I saw Siddharth standing next to me, just observing the people in there. I elbowed him to shake him out of his thoughts.