6- Midnight Conversations

Siddharth

"I will kill you today!" I threw my keys on the bed and picked up my phone, dialling his number in rage. I can't believe I faced such embarrassment in front of Payal because of this man. 

"Man, your date went well right? Shruti told me that everything went well there." His over-excited voice was only making me angrier. The boiling spirit was bubbling inside me and there was an inexplicable urge to break his neck. 

"You must have a death wish..."  The words came out low and muffled with my breath as I tried to control my anger.

He suddenly went silent on the other end, probably sensing the tension but it was already late. "Siddharth, what happened—" 

And there I busted out. My emotions came out like a volcano and it didn't stop for a while. "Are you kidding me right now? You must be happy to screw me over. How am I going to handle this now? Do you even understand how screwed up this is?" I vented out. And kept venting out till the roof of my tongue went dry. 

"You... sound stressed." That was the only thing he said after listening to my long demonstration of how my life is screwed.

Yes, he was right. I am over-stressed and maybe, I am even overreacting but I couldn't stop myself. 

I hung up the call, throwing myself back on my bed. The thoughts of her remained in my head for a long while. I recalled our conversation.

"I understand but fake marriage is a little..." I was interrupted when she reached her hand towards mine. I swear my heartbeat paused there for a second.

"Please help me. I promise I will do anything for you in return..." She paused and added, "I am desperate." 

I didn't forget the desperation in her eyes that longingly waited for a positive response. And a lover like me can never afford to overlook that expression. 

And yes, I agreed.

My heart couldn't bear to see her upset because of me. I sat up, staring at nothing in particular when I heard my brother. "Did you check through the files that I gave you?" 

I lazily glanced at him and sighed. "I am very stressed right now." 

"So you didn't check it. I should have just given it to Ankit." He dashed to my desk to take out the files. "I am sure you forgot about it, didn't you? Like this one day, you will even forget yourself." He walked out of the room.

He insulted me right now, didn't he? I asked myself.

Feeling irritation and confusion reaching my nerves, I threw myself back into my bed when I heard my door open. Letting my body turn, I saw Ankit peeking through the door. "Dad is coming." 

He dashed away as I sat up with a jerk. I ran towards the washroom and quickly changed my dress. So, wondering why I am in such a rush?

I don't know if it is normal or not but in our family, whenever Dad comes, it's like the coming of a hero from the war. From our childhood till now, we all would stand near the door, welcoming our dad. This was the best time to impress him and get on his good side or become the worst child.

It was like the best time to get something as a reward. I switched off all the lights and dumped my clothes inside the cupboard to make my room look neat. 

I don't know if it is a habit but we are just too used to it.

On my way of rushing downstairs, I saw Gourabh still standing on the balcony outside his room. "What are you doing? Dad is coming."

He turned and as I looked at him, I felt a different kind of maturity aura coming out of him. "I will meet him later during dinner." With that, he walked inside his room.