Chapter 4

I could still remember it.

I could still feel the sand blowing in the air, burning my face, the only part of my body that was exposed.

I could still remember the wretched stench of blood and decaying bodies.

I gripped my rifle tighter as I continued up the stairs of a tall building with 5 other men. Our only orders: shoot to kill.

We made it to the top and lined up, ready to fulfill our orders.

I got as low as I could and aimed my rifle out the window. Even though I wasn't technically a soldier yet, I was still an expert when it comes to firearms.

I looked through the rifle scope, scavenging the barren wasteland for any possible threats or targets.

I watched a brown skinned man look around. He turned just enough so I could see his red eyes. An Ishvalen.

My target.

I aimed my weapon and immediately pulled the trigger.

Through my rifle scope, I watched the man drop to the ground, dead.

I gasped.

It was a good thing that I was already on the ground, because if I wasn't, I would've fallen to my knees.

My eyes widened and my hands shook. I just killed someone. I killed a living, breathing human. I felt my rifle slide out of my fingers and hit the floor.

"Don't quit on us yet, Hawkeye." The soldier closest to me said.

"Yeah.  It was just a filthy Ishvalen. They deserve to die." Another soldier laughed.

I knew they were wrong. That person was a person, after all. He had the right to live, just as much as I do.

"Riza!" Roy shook me. "Riza! Wake up!"

I opened my eyes slowly. The first thing I saw was Roy. He was hovering over me, worry covering his facial features.

"Did you have a night terror?" He asked.

I nodded as tears started rolling down my cheeks.

"Don't cry, Riza." He said pulling me in his arms. "You know I'm useless when it rains."

I rested my head on Roy's chest and listened hard to the sound of his heart beating, trying to stop crying to no avail.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head.

"Okay." He replied. "Go back to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up." he started lightly running his fingers up and down my back, soothing me.

"I can't."

"Try Riza." He whispered, kissing my nose. "I can't afford my dearest Lieutenant taking a day off of work."

"You know I'd still go."

"I wouldn't let you go if you were sleep deprived. Now rest."

I placed my hand on his chest and snuggled my face into his neck as Roy began humming a lullaby softly.

Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.