Chapter 6

Black Hayate barked and joined me on the couch. I finally managed to pull my military boots off and relaxed.

Roy was still at Central Headquarters. The Fuhrer had called him to his office for a meeting and we both agreed it would have been suspicious for me to wait for him, so I headed home ahead of him.

Black Hayate rested his head on my lap and I stroked his black and white fur, feeling comfort in his presence.

Roy opened the door with a big smile planted on his face. Black Hayate left my lap and pranced over to greet Roy.

"What's the smile for, Roy?"

"I got my new jacket today." He said, turning my attention to his shoulders.

I stood up and walked to his side. I ran my fingers across the shoulder of his jacket, now showing his new rank. He didn't have any stars, but a new, bold, yellow stripe was added.

"Congratulations, Brigadier General."

"Don't congratulate me until I reach the top. I still have a long way to go."

"But you're one step closer." I replied, kissing his cheek softly.

"I actually have something I want to ask you."

"Ask away."

He reached into his pocket and before I could say anything he was on his knee in front of me. "Riza Hawkeye, will you do me the honor of marrying me?" He asked, opening the box to reveal a simple diamond ring.

"You know we can't, Roy." I sighed. It hurt to say since my whole life I've dreamed of being Roy Mustang's bride.

"I know, I know." He said, "I just wanted to propose, so when I become Fuhrer, we can get married."

"You really want to marry me?"

"Why wouldn't I, Riza? You're the love of my life."

I smiled. "You're the love of my life as well."

"So, is that a yes?"

I pulled him to his feet and rested my hands on his waist. "That's a yes."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, pulling me tight against him. "So when I finally become Fuhrer, I will make you Mrs. Riza Mustang."

I smiled too. "I can't wait."

He took my left hand and placed the diamond ring on the proper finger and smiled. "It's a perfect fit."

I held my hand up to admire the ring as it sparkled in the light. "It's beautiful."

"I thought you'd like it." Roy said. "In my opinion you deserve a much bigger diamond, but I know you wouldn't stand for that."

I cupped his face in my hands. "I can't wait until I can call you my husband."

"Me either, Riza." He smirked as he placed his lips on mine.