Chapter 5

~ A.N: Roy and Riza was invited to Hughes' house, I didn't really add that cx~

Roy knocked on the door of Hughes' house and turned to look at me. "Are you ready?"

I sighed. "Ready as I'll ever be."

Hughes answered the door with a goofy grin planted on his face. "Roy! Riza! Come in!"

I followed after Roy. He took his military jacket off as Hughes helped me take off mine.

Gracia Hughes turned the corner and smiled. "Roy! Long time no see!"

"I'd say." Roy replied as Gracia pulled him in a hug.

She turned to me. "And you must be Lieutenant Hawkeye. I've heard so many great things about you." She said, hugging me as well.

"I've heard great things about you too, Mrs. Hughes."

She smiled and looked over to the hallway across the room. "C'mon, Elysia. Don't be shy."

A little girl emerged from the hallway to cling to Hughes' leg. "Elysia sweetheart, you remember Uncle Roy, right?"

She looked up as Roy smiled and kneeled down to her level. "Well hello there, Elysia. You've sure grown sine I've seen you last."

She held up three fingers. "I'm three now." She smiled.

"Elysia, this is Riza, she works with daddy and Uncle Roy." Hughes smiled, gesturing to me.

I kneeled down like Roy did and smiled. "Hello Elysia."

Unlike with Roy, she walked over to me and looked at me for a long time. She finally smiled. "You're pretty."

A light blush colored my cheeks.

"She is, isn't she?" Hughes said, picking Elysia up. "Uncle Roy thinks so too."

Elysia looked over to Roy as he smiled and nodded.

"Well, now that we're all acquainted, whose ready to eat?" Hughes laughed.

"I know I am." Roy chimed in.

Hughes patted him on the back. "That's my Roy! Let's go!"

I followed everyone to the dining table, taking the seat next to Roy.

I ate quietly, listening to the friendly chatter filling the room. It was nice to just listen to everyone laughing and getting along with each other.

After dinner, Roy and Hughes went to talk about a recent investigation Hughes was in charge of, leaving me with Gracia and Elysia.

Gracia led me to the living room and offered me a seat on the couch. I happily took it. She sat down next to me and Elysia took a seat on the floor with her many toys.

"So Lieutenant Hawkeye?" Gracia asked.

"Please, just call me Riza."

She smiled. "Okay, Riza? Do you mind if I ask you about you and Roy?"

"Sure, ask away."

"So, you and Roy are romantically involved, right?"

"Yes we are."

"And I've heard from Maes that it's top secret."

"Yes, that's true."

She ran her fingers through her hair. "Could you explain why to me? I don't really understand."

Elysia took a hold of Gracia's leg. "Mommy, i'm sleepy."

"Why don't you come sit on mommy's lap then?"

She looked at me. "No, I wanna sit on Auntie Riza's lap." She smiled, running over to cling on my leg. I lifted her up and rested her on my lap.

"She likes you, Riza." Gracia smiled as Elysia buried her head in my chest.

I smiled and stroked Elysia's hair. "Yeah I guess so."

"So, about the whole secrecy thing?"

"Well, Roy is a superior officer to me, since I am a First Lieutenant. I work directly under Roy and there is a very strict law that states that superior officers can't be romantically involved with their subordinates."

"Wow." Gracia replied. "I can't imagine not being able to marry Maes."

I looked down at the sleeping Elysia and smiled. "It's not an easy thing to do, but Roy and I have such a tight bond that we're up to the challenge."

Gracia smiled. "I'm glad Roy found you. It's about time he's found a girl with a good head on her shoulders."

"So, did you not approve of Scarlett?" I asked.

"It's not that, it's just that Scarlett wasn-"

Gracia was cut off when Roy and Maes walked back into the room. Roy looked at Elysia asleep in my arms and smiled. "Are you ready to go?"

I handed Elysia over to Gracia. "Yes sir."

"Don't 'yes sir' him, Riza. We all know you two are going to make out the moment you get home."

Roy kicked him in the shin.

"Ow!"

"Oh, sorry Maes. I didn't see your leg there."

"There's no way you didn't see my leg!"

"You need to watch what you say about Riza and I. If our relationship gets discovered, we could both lose our jobs. I know that you're joking, Hughes, but you have to be careful."

"I know, Roy. I'm sorry."

Roy picked up my jacket and helped me put it on, then he put on his.

Gracia handed Elysia over to Hughes and hugged Roy. "Don't be a stranger, Roy."

"I'll try."

She then hugged me. "It was so nice to meet you, Riza."

"It was nice to meet you too, Gracia."

She pulled away from me. "Keep Roy out of trouble, okay?"

"I'll try."

"Are you trying to say i'm a troublemaker?" Roy raised an eyebrow.

"No, not at all." Gracia smirked.

Hughes kissed the top of Elysia's head. "I'll see you tomorrow, Roy. Have a good night."

"You too, Maes." Roy replied, leading me out of the Hughes' house.

"Well, that went better than I expected." He said as we began walking down the sidewalk.

"Yeah." I replied. "Hughes has himself a nice little family."

"It'd be nicer if he wasn't bragging about it constantly."

"He's proud, Roy. You'd feel the same way if you were in his shoes."

He scoffed. "Yeah, right."

Roy laced his fingers through mine. "What are you doing? You know we-"

"Relax, Riza. It's late, no one will see." He squeezed my hand to reassure me.

I sighed. "I guess you're right." I couldn't deny the fact that it felt nice to feel Roy's hand in mine.

We walked home, hand in hand, the darkness masking our love from Amestris.