First Encounter

It was already quarter to eleven in the evening when you walked in the convenient store. The cold from the air-conditioning hit you and even with the jacket you were wearing, you rubbed at your forearms to at least get some warmth.

There were only a few people in the store but you didn't mind much. What really occupied your thoughts was the fact that the place was unfamiliar considering you just moved in to the apartment building just across the street because of your father's job.

"And here I thought that only happened to drama shows or anime," you mumbled as you neared a refrigerator and opened it. You stared at the beverages and saw that chocolate soy drink you liked so much. You were planning to get coffee but then this drink showed up and ruined everything. You shrugged. It was the last bottle, anyway. It was probably meant for you.

You reached for it and just when you grabbed hold of the body of the bottle, you watched as slender fingers suddenly closed around the neck of the same bottle.

You looked up, finally noticing a person was actually beside you. Your eyes locked with golden-brown ones behind thick-framed glasses. In the short time that you looked at him, you noticed that he had short blonde hair and had headphones hanging around his neck.

Maybe it was because your reaction time was too slow or maybe because you were mesmerized by this person (maybe!), but you yelped when he swiftly took the bottle from your grasp.

"H-hey!" You tried to retrieve it but the guy was too tall, much to your surprise. "Give that back! I caught it first."

The guy smirked at you and for you, his arrogance was like a billboard with lights on it. "You don't seem familiar. You're not from around here."

You glared at him. "No, I'm not. Now that I've given you a very important information, hand over the bottle." You held out your hand.

"Heh," his smirk widened. "Important information? I don't really care if you're from Mars." With that, he turned his back on you and proceeded to the counter.

"Hey, wait-" you called out and tried to go after him but then you realized you're stuck and saw that the keychain on your sling bag got caught up on the handle of the fridge. You looked over your shoulder and saw that the guy was already handing over his money.

No! My chocolate drink!

Just when you were finally freed, you saw that the guy was nowhere to be found in the store. Annoyed beyond belief, you stomped your way out of the store, the weird stares from the other customers go unnoticed by you.

What a big oaf!, you thought as you made your way back to your apartment. I can't believe jerks like that actually existed.

Morning came and your day as a transferee started. All the while you were introducing yourself in front, you remembered the guy from last night and wondered if he were attending this school, too. When you didn't find any blonde boy with golden-brown eyes and thick-framed glasses, you mentally sighed. Whether the sigh was from relief or disappointment, you weren't sure.

You were assigned to your seat afterwards. You nodded to a girl on your right and smiled. You turned to your left and your smile faded as recognition hit you on who the boy was beside you.

"Kageyama-kun..." you muttered.

The dark haired lad turned to you and even though he wasn't smiling, you could see a twinkle in his eyes that he recognized you, too. "Yo."

Kageyama Tobio was your former classmate in Kitagawa Daiichi before you moved to another school. Considering that you two knew each other before, it wasn't that hard to talk to him. You eventually learned that he was still playing volleyball and was a regular on the team.