Push and Pull

It had been a week since Karasuno High School defeated Shiratorizawa Academy and the team couldn't be happier. You, especially, were happy for them as you've witnessed firsthand how they did their best to improve and overcome their weaknesses. Not only were you happy, you were also amazed towards your usually indifferent and jerk of a childhood friend, Tsukishima Kei. It was in that match that you can't help but admit that he was cool. Unfortunately, it seemed you weren't the only who thought so.

The following Monday after the game, you went to school as usual - with your two closest friends, Yamaguchi and Tsukishima. Nothing was out of the ordinary when you walked to school together; the two boys talking to each other and you comfortably silent as you listened to their talk.

However, you noticed a change the moment you stepped foot at the school gates. You were vaguely aware of the stares directed at you and most of them were from the female population. You wondered if there was something on your face or if you recently did something weird or embarrassing. Then as you remembered the boys beside you, you realized they were the ones being looked at.

Of course, they were becoming popular, you thought and felt a little silly for wrongly assuming earlier. You smiled, a little proud, as you watched a group of girls wave at Yamaguchi and he in return was left in a daze and a blushing mess.

"The smile on your face is creeping me out. Please, stop."

You rolled your eyes before turning and sticking your tongue out at Saltyshima (a nickname he was not aware of). You were waiting for him to finish changing his shoes into indoor ones. "Oh, shut up, Kei. I'm just happy Yamaguchi is finally getting some fangirls out there. He deserved it," you said as you gazed at said friend like a mother watching her son finally grow up.

"Uhm... excuse me."

Both you and Tsukishima turned to the owner of the voice. There were three pretty girls and it seemed they were first years, too. As Tsukishima stood to his full height beside you, the girls only looked up and it was clear they weren't talking to you.

"What is it?" Came the blond's usual blunt reply.

The middle girl was fidgeting, fumbling with the hem of her skirt as she peered shyly at the boy beside you. "You are... Tsukishima Hotaru, right?"

Tsukishima, already irritated at the usual mistake of his name, was about to say something when you spoke first.

"It's Kei," you said with an apologetic smile as you symphatized on how easily mistaken Tsukishima's first name was and the girls looked at you with wide eyes. "Tsukishima Kei."

The middle girl stuttered and apologized profusely. The boy simply rolled his eyes and stated that it didn't really matter.

"Uhm..." the girl once again started, this time looking at you. "What is your relationship with Tsukishima-san?"

You were taken aback by the question and was even more surprised at how bold the girl was for asking suddenly. "Eh? Me? I, uhh, I'm -- "

"She's a friend."

A sharp pain struck your chest as you stared at Tsukishima's nonchalant face. You remembered how he tried to joke about him becoming your boyfriend. His face was serious when he said it. Although it would seem like his usual grumpy self to other people, you knew there was something different. But the fear of rejection gripped on your heart like an iron fist and so you thought to yourself that you'd rather be stuck on this one-sided love than to lose a very important friendship.

That's what you told yourself and yet...

"She's a friend."

The giggles from the trio of girls in front of you snapped you out of your reverie. "Oh, I'm so glad! So you're just a friend, huh?"