no watcher is entitled to death [ grian-centered - limited life ]

tw(s): mentions/description of death

hi, yes, i shall hop on the train of grian watcher angst >:)

i know im basic,, shhhh

╔═.✾. ════╗

[ grian's pov ]

Death, if you were wondering, was cold.

Chilling to the bone, freezing your thoughts, numbing your body. Floating in darkness, Grian was curled up into a ball. Waiting. Rays of light chased the darkness away.

Grian, voices whispered far away, their shouts fading. Grian!

He knew those voices. Right? They were so familiar to him.

Grian! they called out.

Their names were on the tip of his mind, before vanishing. Grian felt puzzled. What was he just thinking about? Was he thinking about anything in the first place?

.

.

Then, he felt the void shift beneath him, stabilizing him on firm ground.

"Well, looky who we have here," a gentle voice tugged him back to the warm shore. Opening his eyes, Grian locked gazes with a certain brunette. "Good morning, babe."

The nickname only confirmed his guess. "Joel?" Grian whispered.

Joel grinned and winked. "The one and only."

Confused, Grian blinked a few times, before sitting up. His head whirled for a moment, and Joel reached for him. "Woah, careful bud. You just died, give your body a rest maybe." With warm hands, the brunette steadied him.

No. No. Why was he here? He wasn't supposed to be here. Grian wasn't meant to be reunited with his Bad Boys. "Where am I?"

"The Afterlife," Joel responded, raising one eyebrow. "Are you alright?"

Before he could answer, a body collided into his back, winding him momentarily. "Grian!" someone exclaimed cheerfully, pure joy radiating from his voice. "You're here!" Arms wrapped around his chest, pulling him backwards into a hug.

"gAH-" Grian knew, without a doubt, who had him trapped. "Timmy!" he cried out, attempting to pry Jimmy's grip off. However, to no avail, there was no escaping one of Jimmy's bear hugs.

"I'm so happy to see you!" Jimmy chirped, head burying into the crook of Grian's neck.

"Jimmy, don't strangle the poor man," came Joel's words. "He just died, there's no need to kill him again!"

Jimmy's arms snaked away from Grian's chest, allowing the male to breathe a little easier now. Though he would never admit it out loud, Grian found he didn't mind the hug. Grian found that he missed Joel and his ridiculous nicknames, and missed Jimmy and his excessive bear hugs.

He found that he missed his Bad Boys.

But how long could he stay?

Grian knew they were watching.

"I'm not supposed to be here," he whispered quietly.

The two males looked confused. "What do you mean?" Jimmy asked.

Standing up, Grian didn't meet their eyes. "I'm not usually allowed to stay in the Afterlife," he said slowly, as if testing his words. Still, this further confused the two.

"I think you should rest for a moment," Joel suggested, pulling him down carefully. "Your mind's probably a little fuzzy from the transition between life and death." Was it just Grian, or did Joel's eyes flash purple?

Grian frowned. He wanted to believe this. He really did.

So, why shouldn't he?

He looked at Joel, then Jimmy. They stared back with warm affection. Grian felt a small smile tug at his lips. They were here. His Bad Boys were here.

Perhaps this wasn't so bad.

So, Grian smiled softly, and opened his arms. Instantly, the two had tackled him into a hug, his head landing against the prickly grass. They all laughed.

Grian missed their laughs.

Here he was, trapped in their arms, the warm sunlight washing over his face. He was safe.

He was loved.

Grian was okay.

.

.

Grian watched as the scene began to loop, feeling a small twinge in his heart. The moment was so perfect, so real.

But of course, perfection is hardly ever real.

He turned to the two beings behind him. "Was that really necessary?"

Neither one had a face, simply a black void. But he could feel them smiling somehow. "Of course it was, Grian," the smaller being had mocked.

He winced at the name. "Don't call me that," he snapped. It sounded wrong coming from their mouth.

The taller entity snickered. "Oh, alright, Xelqua. Your wish is our command."

Ignoring the jibe, Grian found himself reaching out. His hand was now dark as coal, fingers laced with purple twine. He flinched at the sight of his normal form. He stared at the happy scene, watching it replay over and over. He missed them. "Why must I watch this?"

He heard one of the beings float over. "Because you must remember," they hissed in his ear. "You are only ever meant to watch."

Grian clenched his fists tightly and turned his face away. Satisfied with his silence, the taller entity grabbed his shoulder and forced him to walk away. "Now, we have lots of work to do. Why don't you tell us how this experiment ran? How did all the variables react to each other?" they rambled on and on as they not-so-gently led him away.

Grian tuned them out and looked over his shoulder.

His Bad Boys looked so happy.

He looked so happy.

He really needed to stop getting attached to people in death games that he created.

"Xelqua," both entities snapped. "Get over here."

Grian glanced at both of them and trudged over, each step feeling heavier than the last.

It was time for another version of the game.

Perhaps he'd pull a few more strings to meet with his Bad Boys again.

Not that they'd remember anything, that is.

╚════.✾. ═╝

lemme explain my poor rendition of my idea:

basically, grian is a watcher [ shocker ] and watchers typically oversee the life series. grian was sent down, purely for experimental reasons. how would he deal with the players? yknow, to sort of get a "spy on the inside" kinda vibe. 

anyways, grian dies and isn't allowed to follow everyone into the afterlife. instead, he spawns back in the void-ish [???] and helps the watchers organize another "game"/life series.

so yeah,, all in all, the watchers wanted to taunt grian and show him what could've happened, if grian was a normal player.

that was long,, pfft

i don't really like how i did this one, so i might try again another time PHAHA

anyways, i hope you like this one !!

WC: 903