One Hundred and Fifty: HAPPY BIRTHDAY POOKIE!

PERCY

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

Two days later it was Percy's birthday.

He never really advertised the date, because it always fell right after camp, so none of his camp friends could usually come, and he didn't have that many mortal friends. Besides, getting older didn't seem like anything to celebrate since he'd gotten the big prophecy about him destroying or saving the world when he turned sixteen. Now, Percy was turning fifteen. He was running out of time.

Sally threw Percy a small party at their apartment. Paul Blofis came over, but that was okay because Chiron had manipulated the Mist to convince everyone at Goode High School that Percy had nothing to do with the band room explosion. Now Paul and the other witnesses were convinced that Kelli had been a crazy, firebomb-throwing cheerleader, while brave Percy Jackson had simply been an innocent bystander who'd panicked and ran from the scene. He would still be allowed to start as a freshman at Goode next month. If he wanted to keep his record of getting kicked out of school every year, he'd have to try harder.

Tyson came to the party, too, and Sally baked two extra blue cakes just for him.

"Sen could not come." Tyson said a little sadly as he helped Sally blow up balloons. Percy nodded, trying not to show his disappointment. "Big fight with Sugar Kline. Got grounded."

"No biggie." Percy said.

"Hey, Percy?" Paul called. "Mind helping me in the kitchen?"

As they were pouring punch, Paul said, "I hear your mom signed you up for driver's ed this fall."

"Yeah, it's cool. I can't wait."

Seriously, Percy had been excited about getting his license forever, but for some reason, his heart wasn't in it anymore, and Paul could tell. In a weird way he reminded Percy of Chiron sometimes, how he could look at you and actually see your thoughts. Percy guessed it was that teacher aura.

"You've had a rough summer." Paul said. "I'm guessing you lost someone important. And... girl trouble?"

Percy stared at him. "How did you know that? My mom-"

He held up his hands. "Your mom hasn't said a thing. And I won't pry. I just know there's something unusual about you, Percy. You've got a lot going on that I can't figure. But I was also fifteen once, and I'm just guessing from your expression... Well, you've had a rough time."

Percy nodded. He'd promised his mom he would tell Paul the truth about who he was, but now didn't seem the time. Not yet. "I lost a couple of friends at this camp I go to." Percy said. "I mean, not close friends, but still-"

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah." Percy's cheeks went red. "And, uh, the girl stuff-"

"Here." Paul handed Percy some punch. "To your fifteenth birthday. And to a better year to come."

They tapped their paper cups together and drank.

"Percy, I kind of feel bad giving you one more thing to think about." Paul said. He sounded... nervous? "But I wanted to ask you something."