Chapter Two - Voices

Word Count: 3,468 words. 

Warnings: None. 

I loved English. I mean, it was the only class in this entire school that didn't completely suck. You could have opinions in this class that weren't immediately shut down because they weren't factual. I was usually very good at paying attention in Mr. Tullis' class. Today was not one of those days.

More often than not, I was found spending my time in school with a Walkman clipped to my waist and music blaring in my ears. The Police had just released their new album, Synchronicity, and I had managed to find a copy of it in the music shop downtown. Of course, I stole it. Snuck it under my jacket and walked out. No one even noticed.

King of Pain played through the tape and I smiled as the chorus began. You never knew what to expect with The Police's albums. Each time, they were something different. I liked that. The unpredictability. I had too many tapes to count in a box at home, most I shared with Eddie, but most of them were just a lot of the same. Plus, he was really loving the heavy metal lately. Metallica was approaching his number one spot.

We were reading something. Or at least, Mr. Tullis was reading it to the class. Of Mice and Men, I think it was. A book by John Steinbeck. I had read it last year after running out of books in the horror section. It was good, predictable but good.

My eyes should have been watching the teacher. They allowed me to listen to music as long as I was still paying attention. An exception I had only because I was smart. Exams agreed with me. I was good at memorising things and regurgitating it in onto blank paper.

Maybe that was why I liked English so much. There was no learning things off or just repeating from memory. You had to think about it. You had to have imagination.

Instead of watching the teacher, my mind and eyes were on the silhouette of Hawkins Labs. It was odd. How no matter where you were in the small town, you could see it. Whether it was the corner of the high building or the chimney, it was always there.

"Ms. Munson," Mr. Tullis' voice broke through the music.

I pulled the headphones from my ears, turning to look at him. He was gesturing to the copy of the book on my desk. "Spacing out, are we?"

I licked my lips, turning my head up at him. "I've read the book."

He perked a brow. "Have you now?"

"Yeah. Pretty shitty."

There was a small snicker from the classroom around me as I gave him a fake smile. Mr. Tullis took a deep breath. "If you've read the book then, tell me about the title. What does it mean?"

Clicking the button on my Walkman, I sighed. "Of Mice and Men," I started. "It's symbolism that represents the way mankind seeks to destroy those who they think hold no value in society. Mice represents Lenny, those that are scorned against and hunted."

"And so George represents man?" he posed.

I shook my head. "No. The harsh men on the farm and the ones chasing him are the men. George is somewhere in between."

Mr. Tullis nodded gently. "Pay attention Munson. You put those back on again and I'll send you to the Principals Office."

"Yes sir," I replied sarcastically, giving him a mock salute.

Moving back to the top of the class, he began to read again, facing the other side of the room. Within seconds, I had the headphones back on.

"He'll catch you," Steve Harrington muttered from the desk beside me.