Chapter Fifteen - The Funeral

Word Count: 3,227 words. 

Warnings: None. 

I had many black clothes in my closet. There was always the occasion to add something dark to your outfit, but nothing that I picked out seemed right for today.

I was going to a funeral. A funeral for a boy that I knew wasn't dead. Funerals were something that I didn't enjoy. I mean, how could anyone enjoy burying someone? A loved one, a friend, even a stranger.

I was in a dress, something that I rarely found myself wearing. It was modest, reaching just below my knee and its square neckline respectable enough, I hoped. The black pumps that I wore were too big for my feet – they had been my mother's – and I had managed to place a small pin in my hair, keeping one side of it back from my face.

To add to the dress, I was glad that it had long sleeves, reaching my wrists comfortably. The last thing I needed anyone to see right now was the tattoo.

"Lia!" Eddie's voice called.

"Yeah?" I replied, taking a deep breath as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"You have a visitor!"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I turned my head towards the door of my room. "Who is it?" I posed.

"The asshole with the hair," he explained.

Hurrying, I grabbed my purse from the bed before turning the corner and looking at the open front door. I had thought that perhaps my brother was joking, but when I looked at the figure that stood outside my door, I found that it was none other than Steve Harrington.

"Harrington," I greeted, shocked. "What are you doing here?"

He was in a suit. A black one, with a white shirt underneath and a black tie. He looked dressed for a funeral. I hadn't thought that he would go, but I knew that Nancy was and so I suppose he was following her. Despite that thought, a quick look to his car revealed that his girlfriend wasn't in the front seat.

"I was wondering if I could drive you to the funeral," he explained, both hands in the front pockets of his trousers.

"Why?" Eddie asked. "What's in it for you?" 

"Eddie," I warned softly, turning to look at Steve. "I have my own car," I told him.

"I know but..." he paused. "...take this as an apology for being an ass at the police station."

He was lying. I knew that he was lying. Steve Harrington wouldn't apologise for anything, especially for something as small as the slip of his tongue – like it had been at the station. There was something else, and my curiosity couldn't help but get the better of me.

"Alright," I agreed, turning to Eddie. "I'll be back later."

He seemed surprised that I had agreed to have Steve drive me, but didn't question it after a moment. I put it down to what the day was or all of the shit that had surrounded it. I still felt horrible about lying to him about everything, but I didn't want him involved in whatever conspiracy I had landed myself in. It was better that he was safe.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" he asked again. Eddie had asked me that same question about five times that morning and the day had barely begun.

I nodded placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure," I told him. "Besides, you have to prepare for that campaign tonight."

"You're more important than a game," he replied.