Chapter Twenty-Seven - Billy

Word Count: 3,223 words. 

Warnings: None. 

Steve rolled into the school carefully, making sure to perfectly parallel park his vehicle in the spot directly across from the school entrance.

"Jesus Steve, it's not a baby," I muttered, opening the car door once it had stopped. "Just park the damn car."

"See this," he began, locking his car before following me across the carpark and towards the school, "this is why your car is so bashed up."

I gasped dramatically, turning to look at him. "My car is not bashed up."

"It's seventeen years old Munson, it shouldn't even be driving," he argued.

I knew that he arguing was playful, that there was no malice in it, but no one was allowed to offend my car. Not even Steve 'The Hair' Harrington.

I stalked closer towards him, tilting my head up to meet his gaze. I cared little for the height difference. "Listen here Harrington. My car is one of the most important things in my life. Don't you dare insult or slag or let any words about her fall from your lips that aren't a compliment. Got it?"

He swallowed. "Got it."

I tried to fight off the smile on my face, pouting in the attempts to force the corners of my lips down. I could see Steve struggling too, the close proximity of our faces enough to make us crack.

I let out a laugh, turning away from the boy as he followed with a laugh of his own. He walked alongside me, playfully throwing an arm around my shoulder and tugging me tightly to him for a moment.

"You know what Munson?" he posed. "You would make a good actress."

I liked this new side of him. Tommy and Carol off somewhere else, he was more like himself around people, and I hated to admit it, but he had a good personality at times. Of course, he was still a complete and utter idiot, but he was getting there. Slowly.

"Why thank you Harrington," I countered, pushing his hand off and turning to walk away from him backwards. I pointed a warning finger at him, "but I'm serious, you say one thing about my car I don't like, and I will rip you limb from limb."

He held his hands up in defence. "Scout's honour," he muttered.

Rolling my eyes, I spotted Nancy and Jonathon stood by the entrance to the school. "You weren't –"

"- in the Boy Scouts," he finished for me, now at my side again. "Yes, Munson, I know this, you know this, but it doesn't mean I enjoy annoying you with it any less."

"What's this about annoying my best friend?" Nancy asked as we made it to her side.

Steve's arms instinctively wrapped around her girlfriend's waist, pulling her into a tight-lipped kiss. She smiled small, as did he.

"I was simply telling Munson here about how much I enjoy annoying her," he explained.

I rest my back against Jonathon's car, crossing my arms. "He told me that my car was busted," I added.

Nancy rose a brow, looking at her boyfriend. "And you're still alive?"

Harrington scoffed. "It's a car."

"She ignored me for weeks because I drove her car from your house without telling her," Wheeler attempted to explain.

"May I add," I butted in, "I was ignoring you for a lot more than that but... I am still very angry at you for it."