Chapter 3

Jax wasn't lying when he said there were people dying to see me.

As his Harley glided to a stop, Tig came dashing out, nearly tripping as he got up from the picnic table. He had been sitting with Bobby, Piney, Opie, Clay, Gemma, and a few other faces I didn't exactly recognize.

Tig was somewhat tall - in his age his hair had begun to thin out; his hairline had pulled back a few inches from where it had been in his youth. His face was somewhat groomed, with an unkempt mustache accompanied by a tiny "V" shaped patch of hair nestled under his bottom lip. Tig greeted me with open arms.

"Holy shit, you've gotten pretty," Tig exclaimed.

I gave him one of those "I'm uncomfortable but I'm gonna hug you anyway" kind of hug. The ones where you come in from the side, wrapping one arm around so that the other can deflect anything headed your way. Thankfully, Jax was at my side watching his every move; he knows how Tig could be around women.

I think he may have noticed my uneasy; stepping close to me, and waving Tig off as more people began to approach me.

Clay and Gemma eyed me from the picnic table talking to themselves as Piney struggled to get himself up.

Bobby looked up in shock. "Girl's gotten taller too. What the hell have you been eating?!"

When I was 10 maybe 13 years old I was shorter than Bobby. I grew about five or six inches after that, making me a solid 5 foot 9 inches, and a half more if I drank a bunch of water or slept well. He gave me a tight and warm hug, one that you would expect from a large heavy-bodied old man.

Bobby was also touched by the hands of time; his dark wavy brown hair was salted. The same goes for the always impressive beard he had, which by now was painted with white patches on the side of his face.

While I wasn't the closest with Bobby as a child; he and my dad had been pretty close friends back in the day. Not like John and Piney, but they got along.

By this time Clay and Gemma had decided to make their way over to me.

A man with a mohawk-type hairstyle approached me; on either side of his shaven head were thick lightning bolts or barbed wire designs. He looked Hispanic, I only guess because of his tanned skin that contrasted with the light skin tones that surrounded him.

I have a lot to say about him.

He was introduced to me as "Juan Carlos Ortiz," and he added a lil bit of flavor to every syllable. "But everybody calls me Juice."

The man called Juice winked. He was sly in his own way, and very charming. Juice could have taken me any day of the week and I would have thanked him for it.

He and I weren't exactly close back then, to be honest, I don't even know if I actually knew him. Nonetheless, he greeted me with an awkward handshake which then turned into the two of us hugging.

"It's really great to meet you. Jax hasn't stopped talking about you since you got into town." I noticed Jax shot him a look, Opie started choking on a laugh, beer dipping down his bearded face.

"Is that so?"

I looked over at Jax and gave a playful wink. Juice made another sly comment which made me laugh.

"If you need company or someone to show you around while you're here. Just let me know." His voice was low enough so only I could hear it.

"I might have to take you up on that," I said, flirting back.

Juice was sneaky, a charmer at best. I could smell the alcoholic courage on his breath, and I didn't mind it. He also smelt of weed which was comforting to say the least.