Chapter 9

**Lizzy**

"Lizzy," A voice seemed to say in my dreams.

"Leave me alone," I whined; turning over onto my other side.

"Elizabeth," the voice called out again.

"Just five more minutes," groaning. I pushed out at the sound, trying to make it go away.

It repeated my name in its three different forms a few more times before I finally gave in to waking up.

"What the fuck," I rubbed my eyes, and reached for the voice. Upon further investigation the voice was not masculine in the slightest.

It was Gemma, she sat next to me on the bed; with a smug smile on her face.

"Hey there sweetie, enjoy your nap?" Gemma said; there was fakeness to her like looking at that one barbie you always cast as the massive bitch when you play dolls.

"How could I not," I joked, stretching and nestling into bed more.

"You and Jax seem to be playing well together," I laughed along with Gemma; chatting like we were girlfriends.

"I guess you could say that," I replied; Gemma began to pet my hair like when I was a kid.

If I had a nightmare when I was staying over at Jax's house; I'd come into her room like any kid would, and ask her to help get rid of the monsters in the guest room closet. She would lay with me for awhile, petting me and treating me like I was her own kid.

"Feels weird seeing you two together again," Gemma looked at me with such a motherly gaze; I didn't know if I should believe the kindness behind them, or start mounting a defense. "I thought something might have happened to you guys. Piney had Jax convinced that Clay had killed you all, and dumped your bodies in the desert."

My heart seemed to stop at that moment. I couldn't imagine the pain of not only losing your father, but also thinking your best friend was taken from you. In a way I was taken away from him, but imagining him thinking I was murdered; was insane to say the least.

"You know, Jax ran away from home for a while after you left."

I picked myself up, and looked at her with an expression of shock, "Jax ran away?!"

"We couldn't find him for nearly a week, and I was convinced that he had found you. Thankfully, he ended up coming back on his own, but after losing John and then having my son going missing-"

"I can't imagine, Gemma."

For once I knew the pain was real, what she was telling me wasn't just for show, but that didn't mean there was an alternative motive behind this. I felt her pain, but I treaded lightly as I walked further into the wolf's den.

"I'm really happy your back, but Lizzy," Gemma grabbed at my hands and held them. "I thought I'd give you a piece of advice. Women have to look out for each other," she said; the words felt so passionate, yet so stale and over used. "Especially women like us."

"Women like us? Ge-"

"Strong women. Women who face their fears head on, whether or not it'll kill them."