12. BROKEN HEARTED

CHAPTER TWELVE. Broken Hearted.

    VICTORIA GRAHAM was never into extravagant family dinners

    VICTORIA GRAHAM was never into extravagant family dinners. Her parents were barely home, making a nightly routine of family dinners a rare thing. Victoria wasn't used to it — especially when her fake boyfriend was involved. Victoria would've never imagined this, staring blankly with a mind filled of thoughts, distracting her from the improbable view in front of her.

    Cook never seemed to be much of a family man. Vic barely knew a thing about him, but she knew well enough he wasn't raised with the parental love she was. Victoria could see how much Cook soaked in the love he was receiving from her parents — especially her mother. Victoria's father was a cold man. He was the typical father; never liking the idea of a boy coming into his little girls life. But he had learned to expect it. He knew Victoria was a smart girl who made smart choices.

    Sometimes.

    He didn't mind her taste in men at first. He adored Tony. He absolutely hated when Tony had left for college, and made him promise to come and visit as much as he could. Tony would stop by during breaks, but Victoria was never present for those appearances. Victoria was unsure on how Effy took that; the idea her parents still regularly seeing Tony just as much as she did. Then again, it wasn't like it was specifically Tony who got the special attention. Victoria and Effy's parents had a wonderful friendship. The children all regularly saw one another — Tony and Effy's family was like her family.

Laughter. All that she heard through her ears was laughter cascading out of Cook and her parents mouths. Even Rowen was cracking a few smiles, which was rare for her. Was it bad she had begun to wonder how they'd act if Freddie was in this position and not Cook? Would they like him just as much? Feed into his jokes and charming manner? She didn't know, but that was a huge question in her mind currently.

    Releasing a subtly throat clear, Victoria scooted the dining chair backwards against the wooden flooring of the large posh room. She gently wrapped her hands around the dirty china that was resting empty on the table, her presence not seeming to be missed as she exited the room without much notice.

    The vibration of her newly bought phone buzzed against her back pocket of the jeans she wore, irritating her more. She knew it was Freddie. He hadn't stopped trying to come into contact with her the entire night after she had, sheepishly, admitted that Cook would be making an appearance at her families home for a dinner get-together. Freddie wasn't happy. Victoria wasn't exactly sure if he had a right to be angry, though. Cook was still considered her boyfriend, unfortunately.

    Victoria had grown to pity Cook, in all honesty. She was leading him on, but then again, it wasn't her fault. They're deal was to stick together until Freddie and Effy broke up. But now that Freddie and Effy were officially done for, they were oddly still together. Victoria had assumed Cook would just end it right on the spot and ignore Victoria like the plague. But he had become even more clingy since the announcement of Effy and Freddie's split, leaving Victoria in a confused state of mind with a pile of mess she'd need to clean up.