18. 18 MONTHS

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN. 18 Months.

    18 MONTHS AFTER THE PARTY

18 MONTHS SINCE COOK CONFESSED TO VICTORIA.

    JAMES COOK was glowing with joy, a rare thing for the boy to experience. To him, life was a gem as of recently — almost too good to be true. But lucky for him, it was all true. He had the friends, the house, the girl. Everything was as he had always wanted.

Summer was slowly, but surely, making its way to Bristol. It was only March, but the slimming warmth from the beaming sun caused a slight rose to hit Cook's skin as he walked into the busy halls of his college. Each day he had entered in through those shabby doors, more relief fell onto him as he got closer and closer to leaving the rubbish school behind.

A smirk was plastered onto his lips. He smugly walked through the walls, the students all around him eyeing with lustful intentions in their minds. He was the talk of the school after word got out about a certain drunken night led him and a friend or two falling into bed together. The photos taken from that night had leaked, surely embarrassing the girl, but he couldn't care less. He had one girl on his mind.

The only girl. Or at least, that's what he was telling himself.

Stepping in front of his locker, he threw it open with force, not caring how obnoxiously loud he was being. Cook began to rummage through the chaotic mess, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. He wasn't looking for any study books — just his extra baggy of spliffs he had hidden away. Out of the corner of his eye, he had caught sight of an unwanted interest. A chill ran down his spine as he watched the cold girl strut down the hall, her posse following her like chained dogs.

Time felt as if it had slowed as her eyes met his — something bitter but addicting about her stare. It irked him terribly. Cook's eyes slowly trailed down her figure, before pulling his irises back up and landing them perfectly onto her polished hands. Images flashed through his brain from the night before, his nails sinking into his palms at the thoughts.

"Have you seen Freddie today?" JJ popped his head from behind Cook's locker, startling him. JJ had been asking the same question for weeks, and always received the same answer. Hesitantly, Cook shook his head, frowning. "It's been three weeks." JJ muttered. "Odd, int? That we haven't heard from him. You think he's okay? He's never been away for this long. Especially since him and Vic got-"

"I'm sure he's fine, J." Cook huffed, slamming his locker shut. "He'll be back." Those three words left a sour taste in his mouth but Cook tried his best to not show it.

"Vic doesn't look good." JJ sighed, dropping his head to the ground. "Her boyfriend left without a word. An- and after all they've been through. I feel bad — really bad. We should go to hers tonight. I know you've been over there a few times since Ef's been crashing there, but maybe havin' all of us there would distract her." JJ smiled joyfully, his idea being something brilliant in his mind. "Gen's been begging me to come see her anyways." JJ childishly blushes.

"Wanna go see Vic just to tap your girlfriend, huh, J?" Cook scoffs a laughter, shaking his head. "I don't know if me going over there is a good idea."

"Why not? You've been on a good streak, right? No left-over feelings, no more fights. I'd say you two are friends, now!"

"That's what we're calling me and Vic now? Friends?" Cook couldn't help but smirk, cheekily craning his neck back to get one last adoring stare of her.

"Aren't you?" JJ raised his eyebrows, his mouth slowly becoming gaped. "Di- you didn't... you didn't sleep with her again, right?"

"Wha- no, J! I didn't." Cook shook his head. "The only good thing Victoria ever taught me was loyalty. I wouldn't do that shit to Ef — not again."

"Good. Because neither of those girls deserved that. Or Freddie — he'd kill you if he found out you slept with his wife."

"Don't call her that." Cook grumbled, glaring furiously at JJ.

"She technically is his wife." JJ raised his hands in defense. "Just because they got a fake marriage certificate doesn't take away from the fact that when they can, and they will, they'll get married and live happily ever after. Just like it was always meant to be."

Cook hummed, rolling his eyes with annoyance. "Isn't that what you said 'bout me and Vic the night we told everyone we were together?"

"Okay, maybe I was wrong that time." JJ scratched the back of his head, entering into the crowded classroom where a majority of his friend group was scattered. The only one missing being Freddie and Effy. "But I think I'm right about this one. Everyone's with who their supposed to be with this time around. I'm with Gen, you've got Effy, Em's with Naomi, and Freddie is with Vic! It's perfect."

"Sure." Cook muttered, dropping his body onto the chilling chairs. Cook continued to listen to JJ's babbling, but slowly mellowed it out as his eyes fell onto Victoria, her loose, fallen out curls that were tightly held together last night, fell down her back. A faint bruise began to show on the back of her bare bicep but wasn't too noticeable. Cook's eyes watched as her fingertips strummed against the freshly cleaned table, her ring finger gleaming with a shining rock that Freddie had stolen right out from under his father to give to Victoria.

How romantic.

Usually, Effy was present. Cook wouldn't be so distracted by his ex-girlfriend's beauty if his current girlfriend was there, but unfortunately for him, Effy was dealing with a draining cold, leaving her in the hands of Victoria's parents at their luxurious home.

Cook's mind was infected with Victoria, just like it used to be, like it's always been. The denial phase was slowly fading away after the countless crimes they had committed together last night. The images of last night would forever been engraved in his brain, unable to erase.

He never believed her when she would say that she could do indescribable things he'd never dare think about. But now, he knows the truth. The past two years of knowing that girl, she had changed his views entirely. His views on life, on relationships, on people, on himself.

She fixed him without even trying. That was exactly what he needed; to be fixed without any intentions on doing so. It all happened naturally, and that was one of the many reasons he was swooned by her.

She truly was his angel. Always had been, always will be.

But now, knowing what the angel was hiding behind her voluminous wings, it was all terrifying to him. But not in a way that'd make him run away — nothing would ever make him run away from her.

Her scars and flaws were what attracted Cook. Anything she did or said attracted him. Victoria could lose all of her beauty, but the kind on the inside would be forever.

God, he made her so sappy, his face cringed together at his own internal thoughts.

authors note!

hi y'all! sorry for the lack of updates but i'm trying to get back into the groove i'm just a busy gal. this is just a chapter to tease y'all for the future and obviously the storyline is twisted in different ways so like the effy x therapist storyline won't be included. effy will still deal w her own mental health issues but won't be as extreme as in the show just because i'm not focusing on effy i'm focusing on my bbg vic🥰

anyway thanks for all the support. love u girlies so much, bye babes