A summer for change

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."t

Joshua 1:9 ESV

"Guys!!" I giggle whiningly at my best friends. "We've never been apart! This is it! Its summer. Were seperating!"

Today was the last day of our junior year and we were all cleaning cleaning out our lockers that were scattered among the empty hallway.

"Bye Darcy, bye Kailee, bye Blaire!" One of our friends wave to each of us as they leave.

"Bye!" We say simultaneously.

"Look Kailee. I know this is depressing. But we have to make the best of this. Besides its only three miniscopic months! Then we'll be reunited again!"Darcy speaks loudly to me even though I'm only six lockers away.

Darcy, Blaire and I have been inseparable since we were little. We have done absolutely everything together since day one. But this summer was different. This was the first summer that God called us in different directions. And frankly I was scared. The longest we've ever been apart was maybe four days when I stayed with my cousins or when Darcy visits her Dad who lives in California or Blaire went on a family vacation to hawaii in the sixth grade. But a whole three months have never ever happened. This summer I got offered a job at a Christian camp all the way across the states in Virginia. I'm exaggerating a little bit. Its actually only a few states away. But still! As for Darcy... Her dad offered her to come stay for the summer with him and his new wife, He said that the youth group there is great and Darcy really wants to connect with her step family. Blaire got offered a internship at a church a few hours away in the city where her brother lives. She'll be spending the summer Filing papers and learning what it means to be the leader of a youth group. Basically this means a summer separation from the girls that hold me together.

Darcy, Blaire and I are all very different but still best friends. Its weird, most people question it, other are used to it. We contrast each other in every way.. Darcy's outgoing and free spirited. She doesn't think before she acts, shes kind of a spur of the moment kind of girl. She likes sports like volley ball and soccer, but she rather lay around and do nothing, or focus on her hair and makeup. She has cute dimples and wild curly blonde hair thats impossible to tame. Guys pretty much chase after her. Not that she falls for any of them. I mean shes has a few boyfriends but Darcys very finicky and guys often give up after a month or so of her behavior. Its almost funny to watch. She loves to be the center of attention. She over shadowed me a lot when we were younger. Not that I minded. Blaire is the more sensable one of us shes rational.. She gets good grades and again people naturally love her for her whole roundiness. Shes debate team president, part of the student leadership committee and has a 4.2 GPA. Her Latino and white mixture gives long dark brown hair nice waves, but not curls. Her hairs usually brushed back and has a headband in it, She likes to dress pretty professionally in cardigans and all that kind of stuff. While guys aren't usually chasing after her like Darcy, she has had a few boyfriend. Me. I'm a lot more reserved and prefer to keep to myself. I have long straight light brown hair and a splatter of freckles across my noes. My eyes are light brown and I've been told their very pretty. Until you see Darcys green eyes. I prefer to read, and I also really like filming things and photography. I prefer to be behind a camera while Darcy prefers to be in front of it and Blaire prefers to be directing the shot. So maybe while we do contrast other, we align perfectly with each other..

"Miniscopic months?" Blaire asks her pointedly. Darcy often makes up terms for things that sometimes make sense, And sometimes don't... Today I don't think miniscopic months make much sense.

"Ya. Miniscopic months. Because they'll be short and you won't even notice."

"Ya. I'm not to sure about that... I don't think thats even a word" Blaire tells her grab the remaining books out her locker as we start walking out to my car. It was my turn to drive today.